Author Topic: 9 Week feeding  (Read 1195 times)

Offline funnyosity

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 20, 2006, 14:21:28 pm »
My nine week old ds has not increased his intake of formula for 3 weeks.  He is generally taking between 4 & 6 ozs every 4 hours and is currently sleeping from about 8pm to between 3 - 5 am.  My problem is that some days if he sleeps later he will still only feed every 4 hours and is exhausted and ready for bed by 8pm and will not take is last feed meaning he is only taking 4 feeds in 24hours which I do not think is enough.  Should I try to get him to feed on a 3 hour scedule or will this interfere with his sleeping during the night.  There is so much conflicting information about formula feeding. The tin states that he should be taking 5 feeds of 6ozs but most days he does not take this amount.  He is not crying for food but I am worried that he is not getting enough. Any suggestions

Sally

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Re: 9 Week feeding
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 15:26:21 pm »
Hi Sally

If he's not crying for food and is continuing to gain weight then try not to worry about how much formula he "should" be having. The guidelines are just that after all - guidelines. All babies are different (as all adults are different) and some just eat less. As long as he's happy with what he's getting and isn't losing weight then he's doing fine.

HTH

love

Marie

Offline funnyosity

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 17:17:50 pm »
I don't cluster feed or dream feed. I can't get my ds to wake once he is asleep to feed. I do put him back down after he wakes between 3-5. 

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: 9 Week feeding
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 23:03:21 pm »
it actually sounds like for the time being your LO is gettting what he needs. Unless he starts to loose weight or is screaming for more food I wouldn't worry. The info on the tin is only a guideline :) It sounds like your on the right track :) and he's sleeping great at night for 9 weeks.. as he gets older try increasing each feed by an oz at a time. He'll eat what he needs. Babies wont starve themselves.
Kimberly