Author Topic: 9 month old standing up in her sleep and I am losing it!  (Read 1070 times)

Offline monkey's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9 month old standing up in her sleep and I am losing it!
« on: February 20, 2006, 15:45:09 pm »
Hi there, I have been having a really hard time with getting my daughter to sleep recently  :( In the past I know I had made a lot of mistakes; breastfeeding her to sleep, letting her sleep with me, and allowing her to nap or eat when she wanted ....but, I made quite a few changes after the xmas holidays. We moved her into her own room, and got her to take two naps a day. Unfortunately, using the PU/PD didn't work all that well, since all I do is the PD part and she seems to take it as a challenge. She finds it really funny and she can be exhausted but will think we are playing a game and will jump up faster everytime (I once did it for over 1.5 hours). The only thing that seems to work is putting her on her stomach and not letting her push up on her hands or knees. She seems to relax immediately and will fall asleep after a minute or two of fighting it. When she was used to all of this, I started to cut out the night feeds and now have her last feeding at 7:30 and get her up at around 6:30 in the morning.

She was doing quite well for a while, only getting up once or twice. The weird thing was that she was seeming to stand up in her sleep. She seems to stand up with her eyes closed and then wakes up and is quite annoyed. At first this would happen twice a night, where we would have to go in, put her back down and she would go right back to sleep. Unfortunately, now she wakes up just about every hour and does not want us to leave the room once she has gotten comfortable again. If she hears us leave, she gets frantic. She has had a cold the last few days (but the hourly wakings precedes this), and she tries to stand but can't and ends up slipping and hitting her head on the bars of her crib. Also, nap time have become a huge fight! She will have her eyes closed and I think that she will be asleep any minute, and then she turns over, laughs ans says hi, or starts to play peek a boo. even though she may be yawning, rubbing her eyes and pulling her ears, there will be no nap no matter how long I try. A few times, I had to leave the room for a few minutes because I was really starting to lose patience.

Please help, this is getting worse every day :'(

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: 9 month old standing up in her sleep and I am losing it!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 03:27:16 am »
Hi there

Firstly well done on all your hard work.  You are doing a great job.  With the standing up - yes that is a really hard one to deal with but you are handling it perfectly.  You just need to continue helping your LO back down and helping her to settle.  She WILL learn how to do it herself - perhaps you need to help her during the day as well working on getting up and back down by herself.  Because of all the new developments for your DD, her little brain is firing off day and night and even in her sleep, her brain and body wants to practice all her new skills.  Eventually she will perfect the new skill and not need to practice it so much.

The other thing you have going on sounds like separation anxiety - you are smack in the middle of the age range for it.  My suggestion for that is that you continue to respond to your DD when she needs you during the night - it is like she is "testing" you at the moment, and just needs to be sure that when she needs you, you will come to her.  This phase will pass but in the meantime I'm sorry I guess this is one you just need to ride out as best you can.

Good luck - and just know that THIS WILL GET BETTER

Cheers
Jo