Author Topic: How many oz should a 4 month drink at feeds?  (Read 1886 times)

Offline llambden

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Calvin Oct 16/05
How many oz should a 4 month drink at feeds?
« on: February 20, 2006, 16:41:10 pm »
I don't think my boy is drinking enough and how do I increase it? We just switched over to bottles about 1 week. So maybe he is just adjusting to the change.

He is 4 months old.

This is his schedule

8:30am wake
E- 9:30 (3 oz) should be hungry because last feed was 2 am
Activity
10:30 Cereal 1 1/2 tablespoon
Activity
S-11:30 Sleep 1 1/2 hours
E-1:30 (2.5-3oz)
A
S- 2:30-3 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours
E -5:30 (3 oz)
A-
6:30 Cereal 1 1/2 tablespoons
Ready for bed with bath and pj's
E 8-8:30 (7oz)
in bed at 9pm
Up at 2 am for feed (5oz)

He was sleeping through the night before the bottles but I just don't think he gets enough milk during the day.  How do I increase that.  When he is done with his bottle he is done.  I try to give him more but he just gets mad.  Should I get rid of his cereal.  He has had his cereal since he was 3.5 months.

LORI

Offline llambden

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Calvin Oct 16/05
Re: How many oz should a 4 month drink at feeds?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 17:16:54 pm »
Now this morning he went to sleep before I give him his cereal?? 

I do try dremfeed but he just won't take the bottle.

When I was breastfeeding  his last feed was 9:30-10pm(fall a sleep on me) and would sleep till 6 then wake eat and go back to bed till 9am.  I think he is just adjusting to the bottles.
LORI

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 04:17:47 am »
Hi  :)

Have you tried a faster nipple?  That sometimes helps increase the intake.  In regards to the solids, his main source of nutrition should  be from formula/bm.  When they decrease their ounces significantly it is recommended to cut down on the solids.
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline llambden

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Calvin Oct 16/05
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 15:09:38 pm »
We have tried a faster nipple but he just chokes.  I cut out his cereal in the morning and he now takes an extra oz.  So I will keep doing that until he is taking more formula.  I total agree that he needs more formula then cereal.
LORI

Offline StephC

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 15:20:16 pm »
I am having the same issue with my LO. She will be 5 months soon and still will only take 4 oz at a time.  She is now eating cereal and vegetables and sometimes fruits BUT I have tried cutting them out for a day and she still will only take such a small amount.  I tried a faster nipple and although it made a mess she was eating a bit better, maybe I will try to go back to that and see how it works. UNLESS, someone has another good suggeston?

Steph

Offline llambden

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Calvin Oct 16/05
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 21:41:14 pm »
I was just at our 4mth check up (17.9pounds and 25inches) and our health nurse said.  Some babies are just smaller eaters but as long as they are pooping and peeing and gaining weight they are doing good.  So for now I am taking out his morning cereal and just feed it to him at night until he loves his bottle then I will start the cereal in the morning again.  The health nurse also said sometimes when you start cereal their milk intake will decrease because they are full with the cereal.  But the formula is better for them.  So that is why I choose to take out the morning cereal so he gets more formula.  I guess we just didn't know how much he ate with breastfeeding.  Now we know he is not a big eater.

Oh I have a friend that had twins and the girls are healthy and they only drink 4 oz bottles every 4 hrs and they are 8ths old.  My friend said they have always only drink 4oz bottles.

LORI

Offline StephC

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 23:22:56 pm »
Wow- that is good to know.  I just called our health link here and the nurse said she couldn't really help me cause I was not even supposed to be giving my baby solids until she is 6 months old?  I tried explaining that my Dr. Okay'd it but she still made me feel like a bad mom!   :(

Steph

Offline llambden

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Calvin Oct 16/05
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 19:45:43 pm »
I find some health provides can be vey hard on moms but I guess in the end every baby is different. 

Since I have take out his morning cereal my boy drinks his bottles better.  In my books it says to start your baby on cereal at around 4mths and start more solids around 6mths.  So I think you are doing a great job.
LORI