Author Topic: My 5 month old is not taking all of his bottles anymore.  (Read 4219 times)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
My 5 month old is not taking all of his bottles anymore.
« on: February 20, 2006, 18:05:12 pm »
Looking for advice. The last few days or so my 5 month old is not taking all of his bottles.

Here is what he was doing:

7am - wake
7:30am - 8oz (usually takes between 30 - 60mins to feed, with a 10 min rest in between)
Activity and nap

11:30am - bottle - 5-6oz  (used to take 7-8oz up until a few days ago)
13.30pm - solids - veggies, 2 or 3 ice cubes - varies daily - it's not his main food so if he misses it or gets it later I don't worry.

15:30pm - bottle - 5-6oz (used to take 7-8oz up until a few days ago)

19.45pm - bottle - 10oz (drained)
no dream feed - never has and has slept through the night past week

The 2 middle bottles are a huge struggle to feed him to to say the least, he turns his head to look at everything but the bottle, he knocks it out with his hands! The other thing you need to know is that he doesn't usually tell me when he is hungry i.e he doesn't cry and he ALWAYS sucks his fingers, so I just feed home 4 hourly.

Secondly, he moved from 3 to 4 hour EASY himself when he was 3 1/2 months and he was playing with his bottles then as well.
I struggle to get him to take his morning bottle, a few days this week he refuses his catnap at 6pm ish and has gone overtired to bed at 8pm.   Any thoughts. Should I try to get him down to 3 bottles?  If so, at what times?  He always wakes at 7am ish.

At last weigh-in (2 weeks ago) he was 16lb 3oz. I know from experience with him that if he takes below 30oz in a daily he wakes at night for it.
Lauren x

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
Re: My 5 month old is not taking all of his bottles anymore.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 00:22:04 am »
My DD was doing the same thing at 5 months Draining morning bottle 7oz not interested in 11am bottle forcing 3.5oz into her which would take up to an hour draining 7 oz at 3pm as she is hungry after not eating much at 11 then fussing at bedtime bottle. So i moved her 11am bottle to 1pm and dropped her 3pm bottle and now almost always finishes them all in about 15mins (except when teething). She is on 3 solid meals and putting on approx 200gms a week and heathy anf happy (when not teething).

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:23:05 am »
Hello!!  :)

It's not always unusual for babies to decrease their ounces.  Both of my kiddos did it too.  One thing that sticks out at me is how long it is taking to feed.  Have you tried a faster nipple? 

Also, with the last bottle that he is draining, don't hesitate to add more.  When Zoe was around that age, she was only drinking 5-7oz during the day but up to 13-14oz at the 7pm one. :o   I just fed until full and all worked out fine.  :)
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 07:05:59 am »
Hi
Thanks for replying, the last time this happened I read posts and decided to increase the nipple flow - he is now on the fastest.
I have tried to get him to take more at his last bottle, however because it is laready a full to the brim bottle he had just had, he seems to know when I swap bottles and doesn't take it. I have also tried to pour the milk into the bottlle he has just finished, again the lips shut.

Should he be ready to drop a bottle at this age? He only gets a minimum of one solid meal a day and I can't see hime taking any more then 7 - 8oz first thing in the morning, if he took 10oz at the other 2 bottles that would leave him short for the day. I don't want to introduce a d/feed as I am usually sleeping myself then.

Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 21:07:17 pm »
Natasha
I tried your suggestion today, heres how we went;

Wake 0715
E 0745 10oz milk, inc. poo change & rest Roll Eyes
A 0830
S 0915 45min
A 1000

E 1100  3 x ice cubes of potato, parsnip and brocolli, took 1/2oz more himself in sippy cup.
A 1115
S 1245  2hrs

E 1445 8oz milk
A 1515

E 1700 2 x pear icecubes and baby rice
A1715
S1740 20min catnap
A1800

E1915 6oz milk  (bit late with this one!)
A1940 bath & gets cream on by DH
E 2000 6oz milk
Put in cot awake at 2030 - fell aleep at 2045.

DS was late to bed as we had been visiting this afternoon and our tea took ages to make. Noelle he was marginally quicker at feeding, and was eager to see both his afternoon and last bottle before bed, but as I said previously he never cries for it and is always sucking his fingers and smiling all the time.
Lauren x