Author Topic: Startles easily....  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Snuffia

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 20, 2006, 20:51:18 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm a new grandmother of a six month old baby boy.  Actually he was born premature in August at just over a pound and was due in November, so that would of made him 3 months now.  I'm happy to report he is a healthy bouncing 12 pounder now, after much worry and fear he's doing fantastic and is such a happy little boy.

My question though is that sudden noises startle him so much easier than any baby I've ever seen, premies are so much more sensitive to many things like this so I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this and what they have done if so.

Offline maggieruth

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 251
Re: Startles easily....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 07:35:19 am »
poor kiddo!

this is such a premie thing!  they get bombarded with so much when they should just be enjoying some quiet time in the womb that its no wonder they become a bit concerned about life!

i haven't been mum to a premie but i have an idea.... can you think of any noises that your grandson enjoys?  or any noisy games he will play with you?  what makes them easier for him to tolerate?  are they songs he likes because you are nearby?  are they toys that have a volume control?  can you start to make the noises he likes JUST A LITTLE more challenging? 

try having fun with noise although its easy to want to keep things peaceful and safe.  Hopefully with more experience of noise, his system will stop seeing it as so much of a shock and will learn to give it the attention that it is due rather than be consumed with worry about it!

you might also want to see if there is a sensory room in your area as these provide babies with visual stimulation in a very peaceful way.  gentle rocking, swinging and movement is also good and will help with coordination and muscle strength as your grandson grows.

HTH!

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 15:25:00 pm »
my lo was born at 37 weeks and although small nothing in comparisson to your grandchild!  she is a spirited little girl and has been startled easily until recently (now only when she is tired).  i had a dr at a clinic tell me she had something wrong with her nervous system (nothing was) and had me worried for nothing. from what i hear a lot of spirited lo's are startled easily and i'm sure her being small and few weeks early also contributed.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Nate'sMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 06:36:46 am »
Snuffia - You wouldn't happen to be in Washington (state), would you?
I don't know if it is a preemie thing or a personality thing.  My youngest son, born totally on time, is a huge startler still.  He goes absolutely hysterical at a loud noise, or lately, a toy that comes at him or makes loud sounds (specifically, things that 'pop' with those balls in them).  Sometimes he is inconsolable for quite some time afterwards.  He has been very 'touchy' since birth. 
Best of luck finding an answer.
Kelli ~ Nate AND Ian's mommy