Author Topic: 14 Month Old Suffers Anxiety at Night. Please Help.  (Read 946 times)

Offline Happy Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
14 Month Old Suffers Anxiety at Night. Please Help.
« on: February 21, 2006, 21:11:51 pm »
My daughter is a perfect child -- well close anyway.  She was sleeping through the night until about 4 weeks ago when she caught a cold.  Since then she has been waking frequently nearly every night (6 out of 7).  She cries loudly during her sleep and seems to wake herself up and continues crying loudly.  When I go to pick her up, she points to the door like she wants out of her room.  She seems anxious, even scared, which is not like her.

Until last week, we had company in the house, so I made a decision to take her into our bed - something I had not done once I got her sleeping on her own.  I noticed that she often moves and cries in her sleep.  To complicate matters, I had in the past worked hard to get her to sleep on her own, doing what what necessary to build these sleep habits.  I was committed to doing this, but now I'm 5 weeks from delivering baby #2.  I'm physically and emotionally exhausted and I need my sleep.  My husband is not willing to spend time with her at night.  My normally mild-manner husband is a bear in the middle of the night!

Any suggestions??
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 21:51:06 pm by Happy Mom »
Kate

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 14 Month Old Suffers Anxiety at Night. Please Help.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 08:49:00 am »
I know it is hard being close to delivery BUT I did it until about a week before ds#2 was born (incidently he was so big I was bigger than a friend carrying twins), when ds#1 was going through a bad sleep phase, I put a mattress on the floor & slept there...it wasn't great as I had sciatica too, but it sure beat getting up & down if I had to do it more than once & he started foing better after a week or so...she is at the age of separation anxiety & having slept in your bed, that is where she now wants to be, so you kind of need to find a middle ground.

BTW moving & crying are pretty normal at that age
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05