Author Topic: Dumb Bottlefeeding Question  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
Dumb Bottlefeeding Question
« on: February 22, 2006, 03:25:25 am »
I'm embarassed to be asking this, cuz it seems like I should be able to figure a solution out on my own, but I've been thinking about it for days and nothing is coming to me, so here goes:

My DD is now (finally) eating 6 oz. consistently.  We make the bottles up when she gets hungry as she just can't seem to wait for them to heat up if the formula is pre-made and put in the bottles.  So, we have little packets of formula premeasured out and the bottles filled with water.  She gets hungry, we combine the two, a few shakes and presto, chango, she has her meal. 

But here's the problem: we're running out of room.  With 6oz of water and the 3 scoops of formula, it just about maxes out the bottle.  I can't imagine what we'll do when we have to bump up to 7oz.  There's no way it's going to fit.  So, as she eats more and needs bigger bottles, do I have to go back to making it in advance and heating for each meal?  Or does someone have a solution? 

Thanks,
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Re: Dumb Bottlefeeding Question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 03:46:07 am »
Hi!  :)
I just weaned my LO to drink straight out of the fridge so I made a pitcher up in advance and could just add to it.  Or you could heat two up so they'd both be ready and then throw the other in the fridge right away if you don't use it.
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 10:39:10 am »
Hi Casey

We used to have this problem too. What we found was if you put in half the powder then tap the bottle on something the powder starts to sink through the water so you can then add more.

HTH

love

Marie

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 02:01:13 am »
DH and I thought of a solution last night, too (of course, right after I post).  But, it's not great.  We thought of making "concentrated bottles" - so if we wanted an 8 oz bottle, adding 4 oz water and 4 scoops of formula.  These would have to be refridgerated, but when we need to bottle, we'd add the rest of the water (the other 4 oz) and it would make is closer to room temperature which is what she's used to.  Ice cold seems like such a shock for a middle of the night feed! 

This doesn't totally eliminate the need for ice  packs when we go out and we'll need to keep another "bottle" of extra water ready, so I think I like Marie's suggestion better.  A few taps to settle the formula is quicker than jumping through all these hoops.

Thanks!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline JennĐ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 02:35:38 am »
But an interesting idea for the night feed.  Right after mine starts to sleep all night.  Figures...
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 17:37:48 pm »
Casey

I have this problem with my night feed.

You can do one of 2 things:
1) I make a 10 oz bottle for Calums last feed, so I put 8oz of water in the bottle, then 10 scoops then pour 2 oz into another bottle and pour it in when the froth settles. he is now taking more on his last feed so I do #2 as well.

2) You can make a smaller bottle and when you stop to burp her add the rest to the bottle.

Lauren x
Lauren x

Offline jennf

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 17:53:40 pm »
ok Im confused...are you using 8 oz bottles??

Jackson Derrick Fritsche
                 Born Jan 18, 2006
Younger brother to Jeremy Oct 10, 1994 and Jared Cole Nov 3 1998

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 17:56:18 pm »
Hi
Not sure if the question is for me or Casey?
The one I use are Boots own and are closer to 9 or 10oz bottles.
I can't fit all the milk in so I adopt one or two of the methods below.

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 20:45:50 pm »
Ours are only 8 oz - we use the Playtex drop-in system.  I see that other bottles are larger (9 oz. plus shaking room), so we may have to switch to something else.  Yikes!  More baby stuff!