Author Topic: 5 hourly feeds  (Read 1189 times)

Offline clare076

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 22, 2006, 06:39:50 am »
I honestly cannot keep up with my LO, one week she is eating 3.5oz every 2.5 to 3 hours, then last week she went to 4oz every 4 hours, now this week she is eating 5.5oz every 5 hours. Nothing I do can make her eat before that 5 hours is up. It is almost like her fuel tank runs out dead on the 5 hour mark and then she refills.

If I offer the bottle earlier she will fuss at the bottle then start screaming, maybe taking 1oz, then bang on 5 hours she does her hungry cry and wham drinks the rest.

How on earth am I supposed to do a 3 or 4 hour EASY on this feeding routine?

She is only 10 weeks old so can still only tolerate 1 hour of activity. Should I just go by her hungry cues and feed her when she is ready?

I weighed her today and she has gone from 12lb11oz to 13lb2oz in 4 days so gainig weight really well.

Clare

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Re: 5 hourly feeds
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 17:25:06 pm »
Hello!

Does she seem to be frustrated by the bottle or bored with it?  Or maybe her surroundings are too stimulating at the 3-4 hr mark?  My thinking is that maybe this may be the case but by 5 hours she's so hungry it doesn't matter?  You could maybe try a faster nipple and/or feeding in a quiet/dim area and see what happens.

Or....she just really might not be hungry until later.  If this is the case you tweak EASY.  She may have two naps before a feeding or a feeding before a nap.  Both of these are OK...the main thing you want to avoid is feeding her to sleep.  If she falls asleep while feeding, just do a small diaper change before laying her down.

HTH  :)
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom