Author Topic: Please help - EASY is NOT EASY and I am at my wit's end.  (Read 3833 times)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Please help - EASY is NOT EASY and I am at my wit's end.
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2006, 10:42:32 am »
Yes, they older they are the longer their A time will become. I will post you the guidelines for transistion to 4hr EASY.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=41061.0
Lauren x

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 01:22:21 am »
Dana, unless he was a low birth weight baby, he should be able to go 2.5-3 hrs between feedings.  And, yes, as time goes by, he'll be staying awake longer, and you'll be able to notice his transition.  He won't want to go to sleep at his previous nap times, he'll be less hungry at 3 hrs and ready to last a little longer.  But it doesn't always happen at 4 months; sometimes babies don't go 4 hrs until 5-6 months.  Any change in his routine though should be gradual.  Try spacing out his feedings in 15 min increments every day or so.   If you need to, give him a pacifier to hold him off, but don't hold him off to the point of sheer hunger.  Just take it slowly, day by day.  As for the routine becoming more set, I found that it changed very often until about 8 months, then the changes were less drastic.  But change can be expected for a long, long time.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 20:48:06 pm »
Thanks, Heather for the 15 minute idea.  He was definitely not a low birth weight baby, and for the past 24 hours or so, he has definitely been going through a growth spurt as he's (just today between 7:30 am and 11:30am) eaten 9 ounces.  I am thinking that if he keeps this up, he will need cereal soon!

I am glad to know that change is normal at this stage, because I keep telling my husband to hire someone that will be able to do something right as I feel like I am doing everything wrong!
Dana - mom to Dante James, born January 4, 2006 and Gianni Joseph born September 28, 2007!!!

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 21:55:56 pm »
Dana, sure does sound like a growth spurt.  And just the fact that you care so much to be seeking help and guidance shows that you are doing everything right.  We've all been through this, felt the same way, and struggled with the same or similar issues.  I, too, wanted to run away at times.  My mom told me that it would all be a distant memory one day, and while I never could imagine she could be right, she was.  I remember there were hard days, but I don't remember details, and I don't remember what it was like (constanting crying, no napping).  The first year went sooooooo quickly.  YOu'll get through this and we're here to help you.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2006, 00:31:29 am »
Well, ds is still all over the map.  Yesterday, he was on an EASY 2.75 schedule and slept beautifully.  Today, he is starving every 2 hours and taking in as much as 4 ounces at each feed - also he has only taken one (1) hour nap this morning.  I just got him to go down for ana afternoon nap.  I am really about to give up - when do they stick to it?  I don't get it.  I do everything the same and he just doesn't seem to settle into it.

Also, tomorrow, ds gets his first shots.....what can I expect?
Dana - mom to Dante James, born January 4, 2006 and Gianni Joseph born September 28, 2007!!!

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2006, 01:29:39 am »
Hi, Dana.  Sorry to hear of tough times lately.  Have you tried making a 5 oz bottle or do you only make 4 oz?  I know that more than 4 seems like alot for his age, but if he is a hungrier baby, maybe offer a bigger bottle.  Also, have you tried giving him the paci to make sure he's hungry as opposed to just needing some comfort?
You surely can do everything the same each day, and it's never really going to be the same.  That's just how it is for most of us.  You are not alone; it's just a gradual process.
As for shots, my experiences with dd have been of course, crying while given, then lots of sleep the rest of the day.  That has happened to most of my friends as well.  The dr may tell you to go ahead and give him tylenol before the shots are given, so take some with you or they might have some at the office.  Each dr, however, is different in their recommendations.
Let us know how your appointment goes.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2006, 01:38:12 am »
I'd be very happy if Dante slept all day!!!!  Well, I think that part of it was that the nipples I have been using (duh - I just figured this out) were for 6+ months.  So, I bought new nipples today, hoping that ds will get sucking time and be able to slow down his eating....maybe that will help.  I will ask the dr tomorrow, though, about what she recommends on stretching his eating out. 

I guess it's just that I feel like everyone on here has things down pat, and my lo is kicking my butt every day!!!

DS is funny - he will eat 3 ounces, and not finish his bottle.  Then he will want 4 ounces and we will give him another bottle, and he won't want it.  Then at other times he will go through (2) 4 ounce bottles, while later that same day only eat 2 ounces at a time.  Like I said, I am hoping that the new age appropriate nipples will help.

Do you think that I should try the paci before feeding to see if that is what he really needs?  Could that stretch things out a bit?

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2006, 01:57:55 am »
Oh, Dana, I was a poster-mom for "Not Having Things Down Pat"!  You are soooo not alone.
Anyway, good thought on changing nipples.  Funny thing is that my dd, although she's only on one bottle now, only got to a size 2 flow nipple on an Avent bottle.  Babies are just so darn different.
Tracy recommended trying a soother/paci first when you're not sure if it's hunger or not.  It couldn't hurt to try.

Big tip:  Make a list of questions for your dr tonight.  Put it in your bag so you won't forget it, and don't leave there until you feel satisfied your questions have been answered.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 21:07:00 pm »
Well, Dante made it through his shots, but is definitely not sleeping all day.  I think he slept about 1 1/2 hours when we got home.  He has taken his Tylenol and eaten his first bottle with cereal included.  THe doctor recommended I start so I am hoping that this will allow his feeding schedule to change a bit.

Thanks for all of your help.  I will let you know how things go in the next few days with this big change.

Offline magaparsec

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 22:38:30 pm »
Hi there, I can TOTALLY relate to you... my DD is 2 months yesterday and has been on EASY since last Friday. But each day is a little different! The sh-pat somehow magically worked today within minutes! And last night she slept until 7am (with some resettling and 1 night feed plus df). So it gets easier, but I'm sure tomorrow will be totally different. (DH has different ideas about routine etc, so hard to get him to stop bouncing her so much to calm down or go to sleep). But I love her so much and that's the important part. She smiles and it melts my heart, even if she's been totally crying beforehand and I don't know why. I am starting to keep a log today of her EASY schedule, and see how it works... I plan to be really diligent over the next 2 weeks (no plans, except taxes are due! Ack...)

Hang in there, perseverence is the key... and remember, your LO needs you, no matter what you do. Most important is to love your baby.

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2006, 05:22:05 am »
Thanks for the kind words.  Even with my lo going through such a big ordeal today, I did notice that putting him down when he was tired, but not asleep did still work.  Even though he needed extra attention adn cuddles today, he still put himself to sleep.