Author Topic: Number of bottles...  (Read 1432 times)

Offline ctanaka

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Number of bottles...
« on: February 22, 2006, 21:33:09 pm »

Hi all,

Just curious as to how many bottles an 8.5 month old ought to be taking?  My little one is down to 3 day. It doesn't seem enough to me, but she will have nothing to do with the fourth.  Here is our routine:

7ish 8oz bottle
8ish 2tbs oat mixed with 1oz formula - 2oz fruit

9ish nap

1130ish 2tbs oat mixed with 1oz formula - 1oz fruit and 1oz veggie
1230ish 8oz bottle

1ish nap

430ish 2tbs oat mixed with 1oz formula - 2oz veggie and 1.5 to 2oz meat
530ish 8oz bottle

She used to take the fourth bottle around 930pm. She still wakes up, but will not take the bottle.

Against her Ped. wishes I introduced a third meal on Sunday because by the afternoon she was a hungry grumpy baby. Since introducing lunch she is much happier.  Do you think she is getting enough calories? After finishing solids, she always wants more. I am hesitant to give her more solids because I am already giving more than her Ped wants.

Thank you for reading and any insights you wish to share.

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Re: Number of bottles...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 21:38:36 pm »
Your routine sounds great!  She is getting 24 oz a day, which sounds good.  I wonder why your ped doesn't want you to introduce a third meal?  I would say that as long as she is still willing to take 24 oz a day (since formula should still be most important until 1 yr), than just go by her cues as far as solids. 

HTH  ;)

Sheila
ng

Offline Nate'sMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 21:46:58 pm »
My 8.5 month old does 3 meals and 4 bottles.  It seems like a lot to me, I was wondering if I should drop to 3 so I am glad you asked.  Maybe someone will have the happy medium for both of us...

7am wake bottle 7oz
8am breakfast solids

11am wake bottle 7oz
12pm lunch solids

3:30pm wake bottle 7oz
5pm dinner solids

7pm bedtime bottle 7oz

Any advice for me too, would be appreciated!
Kelli ~ Nate AND Ian's mommy

Offline ctanaka

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 21:51:59 pm »
Thank you so much for responding so quickly. Being a first time Mom, I have been following the Ped's advice to the letter. But when she told me not to add the third meal until after 9months of age, I really questioned her. The Ped's believe is that my daughter will make up the calories in formula. My daughter is just shy of 20lbs, and very active. Anyways, as I said she is much happier now, so that makes me happy. I will experiment with additional solids and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Offline Nate'sMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 22:02:18 pm »
I totally understand.  With Ian being a second (although NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING is the same with he and Nate) I guess maybe I am more relaxed about it.  I am the first to admit that I am a 'by the book' person too, so this has been an interesting trip for me.  (nothing about this child is by the book!  Nate was my textbook baby!)  So anyway, if she is that big, and hungry for it, you are only 2 weeks away from 9 months anyway.  Ian is about the same size as your LO and he has 1 meal and more formula a day.  Sometimes I think that child would eat no matter when or where or what. 

Just my opinion.
Kelli ~ Nate AND Ian's mommy

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 23:02:30 pm »
My 6.5month old is on 3x7oz bottles and 3 solid meals a day anf healthy and putting on heaps of weight. She gets lots of calicum and vitamins from her breaky,lunch and dinner.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07