Author Topic: How can I incorporate a class that falls during naptime?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline sisenb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How can I incorporate a class that falls during naptime?
« on: February 23, 2006, 10:57:15 am »
I am on the EASY plan and I have my almost 5 month old baby, Jack, on the following schedule:

7AM Wake/Eat
9AM Nap
11AM Eat
1pm Nap
3PM Eat
6:30PM Eat
7:00-7:30 Bath/Bed
11PM Dreamfeed

I have enrolled us in a swimming class that starts at 10AM which falls during his usual naptime.  Does anyone have any experience switching things around one day a week to accomodate an outside activity?  I don't want to totally adjust his schedule for this one day but I am unsure how to do this without making him really cranky.  Any help would be much appreciated!

tstasko

Re: How can I incorporate a class that falls during naptime?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 17:19:23 pm »
I'm interested in feedback on that as well.  My DD is 15 weeks and we are starting a Mommy and Me class on Tuesday it's from 10-12 (!), and that falls during her morning nap.  When I first signed up she was 2 months and slept everywhere and very deeply, now that she's more interested in her environment, it is much harder....plus we've been plagued by the 45 minute nap monster (whooole 'nother story!), so I am a little apprehensive...but I really want to go to this class, I think it will overall be great for her and for me.
I've been brainstorming on whether to wake her early to get a little nap in before going, or just winging it and see if she falls asleep during the class for a catnap and then get back on schedule once we get home.  Arrrgh!  I don't have an advice (although I'll let you know what I end up doing and whether or not it works)...but am interested in advice. 
Please let me know what you end up doing and how it works out!  I also plan on doing a swimming class with her when she is 6 months old...
Anybody else have any experience with this?
TIA!!!
Tari - Mommy to Scarlett

Offline sa

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 21:56:26 pm »
you can start going out at 9am. let him sleep in the pushchair / car seat for at least 45 mins-1 hour.
then when class finish put him to sleep at around 12pm. hopefully he will catch up the missing sleep in the morning. if not, you may give him a catnap later in the afternoon.

mum to samuel 25JAN05
textbook/angel baby

Offline RyansMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 21:16:15 pm »
I too have this problem as we now have lots of things that clash with my los morning nap!  I try to get him up a little earlier and put him down for a nap a little earlier where he may get at least 45 mins (he is used to having 1hr - 1.25hr) sometimes this may mean he has 3 naps instead to make sure he isn't cranky in the afternoon! Sometimes this doesn't work and he may nap at the group!! 

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 04:32:16 am »
I have had that situation all Liam's life due to toddler activities, although Liam is a bit older. What I tend to do is bring the nap forward 15mins of so & have myself ready , so the last thing I do is get Liam out of his cot & we go, then the next nap is also slightly earlier to make up for the short first one & when he had a catnap, I let that one go longer & gave one in the early days when we dropped it &/or brought bedtime forward so his awake time in the evening wasn't too long.... I only came unstuck when we started having 2 days in a row where I had to do, it... so I changed the day of one activity & now we do it 2-3 times a week & it works fine, so if you have to do it once, I doubt it will mess to much.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

tstasko

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 15:20:12 pm »
We had our class on Tuesday and I took some pp's advice and it worked out very well.  I woke dd up a little bit earlier, got an hour nap in (she woke after 20 minutes but I put her back to sleep) and got myself ready to go so that when she woke up I just changed her diaper and took off!  Great advice! The group ran over by  longan hour, so it was three hours (yikes!), so when she started getting tired I put her in her car seat, closed the shade on it and put a big blanket over top to block out as much light and stimulation as possible and she took a nice little half hour cat-nap.  It was great.  I just adjusted as well as I could when we got home and she was fine...got back on track the next day!  Hopefully it'll work out this nicely every time (fingers crossed!)
Hope the swimming works out!
Tari