Author Topic: 2 naps into 1  (Read 1066 times)

Offline beebee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
2 naps into 1
« on: February 23, 2006, 12:51:41 pm »
Daisy is 13months and always had a morning nap around 11am (45mins) and then another at 3pm (1hour). Now she does not want to go down at 11am but is crashing by 12noon. If I let her sleep then her lunch will be delayed which I can handle but she will be exhausted again by 4-4:30 and this is too late for a nap don't you think. Ideally i would like her to have lunch at 12noon then go for a good nap (1:30 - 2 hours) at  1:30. but so far this has been impossible as she is so tired by 12noon that she screams if i offer her lunch.

Today she got up at 7:45
breakfast at 8am
tried to give her lunch at 12noon
now asleep at 12:30 not having had lunch.

any ideas what to do? thank you

Offline NicoleW

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 15:24:29 pm »
i think 1:30pm is too late for a nap anyway. the latest i've heard of anyone putting  a baby down is 1pm....and that's probably if she goes to bed at 8pm or later.
how long does she sleep at night?
12:30 is perfect....but maybe do it gradually. try 12, then 12:15, then 12:30....and you may even get to 1pm. hopefully your nap will lengthen adn she'll sleep until 3pm. then bed at 7 or 7:30pm ??
My dd still is only doing 1 hr for her nap and its driving me nuts. we went from 2 x 1-1.5hr naps a month ago to this! it totally sucks. So hang in there.....
let us know how you make out....

Nicole

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 15:54:19 pm »
Why don't you offer her a snack around 11 or 11:30?  Hopefully she'll sleep longer than 1 hour for you even if she goes down at 12.  You can give her lunch after she wakes. 

I agree 4:30 is too late for a nap.  Not sure what her normal bedtime is but you may have to put her down 1/2 to 1 hour early depending on how long her nap is. 

As far as what would be a good final nap time, it's hard to say without knowing her bedtime.  I agree 1:30 might be a bit late for her nap but it really depends on the baby--some are more sensitive to the nap time ie. if it's too late they won't take one! but others have their night sleep thrown off if they are awake too long after their nap, so you'll have to adjust based on your lo's tolerances.  Check out the sticky"what your toddler day looks like" to get a range for your lo's age and schedule.     

Offline beebee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 2 naps into 1
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 21:42:08 pm »
thanks for the feedback. her normal bed time is 7:30ish. I have looked at other schedules on this amazing site and think maybe lunch could be 11:30 then nap after lunch and nappy change, she will then be full, dry and tired. I will try this tomorrow and see how it goes. x

Offline rach

• Showing Appreciation 322
Re: 2 naps into 1
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 23:17:24 pm »
In Tracy's last book, she advices how to go from 2 naps to 1 ...

By making the morning nap progressively later, yo can eventually make it disappear.  The suggested timetable below assumes that your child is at least 12 months old and normally naps at 9.30am.  Times may vary, depending on your child, but the principles of gradual transition remain the same.

Days 1-3:  Put her down 15-30 minutes later for her morning nap - 9.45 or 10.

Days 4-6:  If possible, put her down 30 minutes later, so that she's going down at 10.30.  Give her a snack at around 9 or 9.30.  She'll sleep for 2 or 2 1/2 hours and have lunch around 1.

Days 7 - however long it takes:  Every 3 days, make the nap later and later.  She might have a morning snack at around 10 or 10.30, go down at 11.30, and wake for his lunch at around 2.  You might have a few rough afternoons.

The goal:  Eventually she'll be able to stay up until non, have his lunch, play a bit, and then take one long afternoon nap.  She might have some days when she just can't make it without a short morning nap.  Go with the flow, but don't allow her to sleep for more than an hour.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Rachel xx
Rach xx

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 16:42:18 pm »
My 18 month old dd still does lunch at 11:30, then her nap around 12:30,  snack at 2:30, dinner at 5 and goes down sometime between 7 and 8.  Of course, she's also been waking up around 5 in the morning but that's a different story....
As you said lunch and diaper change before nap is good.    We weren't able to do the gradual shift in nap time because, even putting dd to bed early, she was still so over tired she would wake in the night, so we had to make the transition to her ultimate nap time pretty much cold turkey.