Author Topic: Help with 9 months easy.  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • They are huge now!!!
« on: February 23, 2006, 14:34:10 pm »
Hi! My dd has been on solids for almost 4 months now and loves them, but this past days she has been rejecting them unless she is entertained with some toy or song . Why is it that she needs to be distracted? She plays during eating time and of course I struggle to feed her. But sometimes distraction wonīt do the job and she does not want to eat. She is almost 9 months and eating puree as she gags on small bites and vomits. She has no teeth yet so maybe could be this and she can put her spoon in her mouth but does not eat with it yet. She can eat a cookie by herself without gagging so I really do not understand. Is this a 9  month issue? Isnīt there a growing spur then instead of a non hungry period?  She is having again 45 minute naps so I am not able yet to eliminate catnap. Any suggestions? She has fruit and cereal and yogurt for breakfast, meat or chicken and veggies for lunch and veggies or fruit and cheese for tea time. She sleeps at 7: 30 and wake up at 7 with no wakings.

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: Help with 9 months easy.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 04:50:29 am »
I have only myself, and a lot of other posts I've read here to judge by, but I think it's a developmental thing.  My DD is becoming more strong-willed and independent every day.  Some days she takes her bottle just fine, other times she must have her blanket to play with, Ernie sitting on one side to look at and whatever else to distract her.  And that only works sometimes.  SHe used to be a fabulous eater of solids, and now I also have to distract her sometimes or she'll just decide sometimes that she doesn't want to eat and refuse to open her mouth.  I think their appetites fluctuate a lot too, so some days they are hungrier than others.  I'm trying not to make a big deal out of it, sometimes throwing away half of her meal at a time.  My DD is almost 20 pounds and not hurting for food, so she will eat when she's hungry enough.

Interestingly, Rachel also has issues with lumps.  She doesn't vomit, but will gag and eventually refuse whatever it is.  She is also fine with finger foods, it's just the lumps in her food that bother her.  She has no teeth either, though I don't really think teeth have anything to do with it.  I think it has more to do with the fact that they do not expect lumps in their food because they can't see it, but they can prepare to chew when they are picking up the finger foods themselves.  Who knows though, it's just a theory. 

As for suggestions, I would say just ride it out and try not to get too worked up over it.  If she doesn't want to eat, don't force her, just the meal.  Don't offer a snack later, just try to stick to your normal routine.  She'll catch on and it will pass.  When it will pass, I wish I knew :)