Author Topic: S;eeping thru night - feeding eliminated - now what?  (Read 1172 times)

Offline MatthewsMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
S;eeping thru night - feeding eliminated - now what?
« on: February 23, 2006, 16:23:24 pm »
Hi,
I had posted a bit ago about my son waking up 1-2x a night (ususally 1:30 and then again at 5:30.) the 5:30 is still going on so I figure that's his "wake up time" right now but now that he's not getitng up at 1:30 (yeah - knock wood) he's missing that feeding. I used to give him 4-6 oz then and now it's gone but HE doesn't seem to miss it I was just concerned did he need it? Cause of course now he's getting less ounces in 24 hours.

Also the other night he slept from 9 to 8 - so he also missed his 5:30 feeing - I stuck another feeding in there somehow (I think I kept him up later) but I don't like to do that - he is really starting to get tired about 7:30 so I'd like to have his last feed about 8ish and then bed. Am too afraid to give last feed at 7ish as I think he could wake up in middle of night again - but not sure. I don't want to mess with too much now is my point.

So my questions - what do I do about missed 1:30 feeding - does he need that or I guess not? And if he starts sleeping longer and misses his 5:30- do I add that in somewhere and how? He is now eating at 5:30, 9, 12, 3, 6 and then 8:30ish again. So my 2nd question is I'd like him to get to sleep about 8ish since he's tired earlier so do I eliminated the 8:30 and either push the 6pm out an hour to 7 and then bath, bed, or push the 8:30 back? (I know confusing). He's a little over 3 mos and 15 lbs - I don't know if he needs 6 feedings.  He doesn't do a dream feed - those never worked for us.

Thanks - hope this is not too confusing!
Lauren

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: S;eeping thru night - feeding eliminated - now what?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 16:36:55 pm »
Hi Lauren

Sounds like something I went through, my DS used to wake at 0230 and 0530 apprx. for a feed. The 0230 feed went when he was roughly 3 months, he moved to 4 hour EASY At 3 1/2months and he was only waking between 0430 - 0530 for a feed, a few weeks ago I suspected he was only doing it from habit so I made his night feed with 3oz water and 2 scoops not 3. The next night he took 20mins to take 1oz, he kept falling asleep, so I knew then he was not needing it.

What I then did was if he started ti 'cry' at  0430 - 0530 I could tell it was more of a moan not an urgent feed me and help me cry so I left him and he started to re-settle him self after 5 - 10 mins (or it felt like that!), he is now sleeping through. If his moans turned to proper cries I would do PU/PD but his was rare.  We had an episode in between this where he found his voice and started shouting at 0530, I posted for advise and was strongly advise to leave him if he wasn't crying - so I did.

If he misses the 0130 feed, he obviously doesn't need it..
If he starts to sleep through the 0530 feed he doesn't need it, as this  probably means he is getting all his milk intake with the core day hours and this is fantastic for both of you, so you can get a sleep.

So my 2nd question is I'd like him to get to sleep about 8ish since he's tired earlier so do I eliminated the 8:30 and either push the 6pm out an hour to 7 and then bath, bed, or push the 8:30 back? (I know confusing). He's a little over 3 mos and 15 lbs - I don't know if he needs 6 feedings.  He doesn't do a dream feed - those never worked for us.

Can you post you typical routine and I will have a look, 6 feeds sounds a lot - I don't dream feed either.  Are you feeding every 3 hours?

Lauren x
Lauren x

Offline MatthewsMommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Sleeping thru night - feeding eliminated - now what?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 17:28:29 pm »
Hi,
Here's his schedule - my pediatrician said 4-6 feedings, 4-7oz each feed so I know if he gets 5 feedings it's probably fine but I guess if a baby is growing and you ELIMINATE food that seems like the opposite of what he should get? He is feeding about every 3 hours.

5-5:30- wakes- 6 oz feed - I don't try to get him to go back to sleep as we just lost his 1:30 AM feed and feel he's not ready to lose 2 yet and I can handle 5:30
sleeps until either 8 or 9, I'll use 9 as feeding example and he gets activity between each feed and nap- this morning he was up at 7:30 but I was so tired I didn't go in and he went back to sleep until 9
9AM - 6oz feed
10:30 - nap
noon- 6 oz feed
1:30 - nap
3PM- 6 oz feed
4:30 - final nap
6PM- 6 oz feed
either cat naps about 7ish but seems ready for bed about this time....
7:30-8- bath
8-8:30 - final 6oz feed and then bed

I'd like to put him to bed a bit earlier as he's tired but I already don't have three hours in that last feed just to "fit it in" cause I feel his last feed at 6 is too early. However 8PM seems like a perfect bedtime for him if I could feed him at 7:30 but again after 6 that's too soon- why I was wondering if I should push the 6 feed up an hour or so? That would give him ONE 4 hour feed.

Thanks so much!

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 17:39:19 pm »
To be honest I think the key to it is getting a structure in the morning, will he he go straight back to sleep after his 0530 feed, and you can treat this as a night feed, he would then wake for the day between 7 or 8am and you can bring your feeds an hour or 2 forward.

I remember feeding at this age 7am,10am, 1pm 4pm, 6pm and 8pm Calum would cluster feed in the evening, he eventually dropped the 6pm feed and I moved the 8pm feed back to 7pm.

You need to be consistant in the time you start his routine for the day, I still only give him 30 min leaway in his start time. We wake and start the routine at approx. 7am everyday.

I hope this helps you, but I really feel that the mornings are the answer :)
Lauren x

Offline MatthewsMommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 16:04:58 pm »
thanks - I think I typed wrong - he DOES go back to sleep after his 5:30 feed (usually) and then gets up again at 8 or 9. I think part of the problem is he is often up about 8ish but I've been such a zombie last few days I can't even get up (esp last night as he was up all night for some reason and I did give him a 1:30 feed as nothing else worked). Anyway I am not getting up and he cries and goes back to sleep and this morning he will have a 9Am starting feed- which I think 8Am would be better but it's hard on me and getting harder for me to get up. I also think part of it is my age - am almost 40 and this is my first child and I don't have the energy I used to have- LOL!

Anyway will try to get him to get up again at 8 and start his day. Thanks again!
Lauren

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 16:44:33 pm »
Hi MatthewsMommy,
I know what its like Calum woke at 0715 (i think) I was sssoooo tired one of my contact lenses fell out, never to be found!  I had to force myself to get up at 0730 as I can't feed him any later then 0745 or his routine goes to pot for the day.

Good luck x
Lauren x