Author Topic: The Peanut issue  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
The Peanut issue
« on: February 23, 2006, 23:44:20 pm »
Hi

I am confused by the peanut issue.  I have read and discussed w. other moms to hold off on giving any peanut (butter or oil, etc) until age 3.  Theory I have read is that this will reduce the likely hood of dc developing a peanut allergy.

My ped said hogwash!

Any insights?  When did you give peanut?

PS: Neither dh or I have a peanut allergy, but we think Megan has Milk Protein Intolerance possibly Soy too but not sure if that matters any?!

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: The Peanut issue
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 05:04:01 am »
We gave Ewan peanut butter on toast at 8 months :-[.  We didn't acutally know that we weren't supposed to but neither one of us is allergic and there is no history in our families.

I heard since then that you should wait until they are two before you introduce nuts.

Offline NKmommy

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 05:53:44 am »
Hi Michelle,

Just like you, I have heard all sorts of guidelines with peanuts - 1 yr, 2 yrs, 3 yrs.   :-\
Our ped also said that unless there is a family history of nut allergies, we can introduce them at 12 mos. (and we actually just did a few days ago...)
I really think that recommendations vary based on country and who you ask...  Sorry, not much help. 
Sheila
ng

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 14:50:30 pm »
I gave ds peanut butter at around 9-10 months too not even realizing we were suppose to wait. We do not have any history of food allergies on either sides of our family but sure enough we were sitting in the ER less then 20 minutes after his first bite of PB. You never know who is going to have a reaction. I don't have any statistics behind it but speaking from experience I would definitely hold off. Your child does not need it to maintain a healthy diet. I live in constant fear that ds could be exposed again and have to carry an epi-pen with us at ALL times. Would it have made a difference to wait? I'm not sure but I wonder all the time................ :'( :'( :'(  JMO.
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 04:11:23 am »
Kayna, oh goodness...well i am convinced now.  We will wait thanks!  So glad to read your LO was okay - poor wee thing, not to mention mommy  :'(

Does anyone know if it is ALL nuts or just Peanuts?  Eg: there is Almond Butter vs Peanut buter.

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 15:41:54 pm »
Kayna, oh goodness...well i am convinced now. We will wait thanks! So glad to read your LO was okay - poor wee thing, not to mention mommy :'(

Thanks Michelle. It is a pretty scary allergy.

Does anyone know if it is ALL nuts or just Peanuts? Eg: there is Almond Butter vs Peanut buter.

Our allergist said to stay away from nuts as well but again I don't have any research to back that up. We have used "Sun Butter" though. It's just like Peanut Butter but made with Sunflower seeds. My husbands Grandmother found it at a health foods store. Actually quite good. ;)
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline lilybell

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 04:50:17 am »
i had my dd try peanut butter at the same time i started her on whole milk (at 1 year). immedietely she started getting diaper rashes that she never had before. i called the ped thinking she had a milk allergy. turned out it was the peanut butter.
so, i'm waiting till she is 2 to try again.
elsbeth - mom to dd isabella

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 22:07:50 pm »
We were also advised to wait until 3--because dd had MSPI, so even though we don't have any history of nut allergies, we're just supposed to be cautious of all nuts and other high risk allergies (shellfish) until 3.  It's not worth the chance.

I'll have to look for the sun butter though--I bet dd would love it, and I always wish we could do sandwiches, but she won't eat meat, and can't have pb, so there isn't much left besides a plain cheese sandwich.

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline Meg's Mom

• our girls
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 22:18:02 pm »
Hi all, thanks for all the good info.

I to think dd has MSPI or at least MPI - Kim did you do any tests to confirm this or just did eliminating from the diet tell you all you needed to know?

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 23:01:36 pm »
No tests--just the rash, runny nose, dark eye circles that showed up every single time I ate any amount of dairy or soy.  I feel bad that it took us a couple months to figure it out in the first place, but everyone kept saying they get chin rashes when they are teething because of the drool and we just thought she had a cold. :-[  Oops.

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11