Author Topic: Stranger Anxiety  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Stranger Anxiety
« on: February 24, 2006, 15:30:06 pm »
DD (6.5 months) seems to be starting to get stranger anxiety... Yesterday she cried when my BIL came over (I was here and she could see me still) and today almost did at cleaning woman. Is that typical at this age? Anything I can/should do to help ease things?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

Re: Stranger Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 17:39:36 pm »
I'd just respect her and give her the reassurance that she needs, my dd has just come out of this.  Basically, I'd continue to hold her, offer her to someone else to hold, but often she'd turn her head away, so I went with it and didn't push it (often after about 10mins she'd start to show interest in the other person and warm up to them if not pushed into it).  If someone got in her face and was chatting to her and she turned away or looked like she was going to cry I just asked whoever it was that it might be best that they step away from her (I was careful not to label her as shy or whatever, but just explained that she was going through a bit of separation anxiety - mostly for their benefit because others seem to take it a bit personally).  Yesterday was the first day that I was able to leave her on someone's lap while I left the room and took Nathan to the toilet - she was fine and laterr in the day I was able to put her down on the floor at my feet with a roomful of strangers and she crawled off over to play).  As long as she learns that her needs will be met by you, that you are there for her, she will gain security in that and then when she's comfortable will happily start to go to others in her own time.

HTH

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Stranger Anxiety
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 17:45:03 pm »
Thanks Nikki. She was OK with the cleaning woman today once she got used to her and as long as I was right with her. So maybe she just needs extra time to warm up to people? We are visiting her grandparents and cousins tomorrow - she does know most of them pretty well but will be interesting to see how she reacts this time. Will just stay with her and hold her and make sure she's comfortable.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01