Author Topic: how do solids and bottles fit in EASY schedule??  (Read 2148 times)

Offline estherofi20

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
how do solids and bottles fit in EASY schedule??
« on: February 25, 2006, 04:33:25 am »
Hi everyone

Ok, i know some may think this is a really stupid question, but i just dont get it, i've been reading some schedules for feeding solids, and i see some for example give a bottle at 7am and just one hour later solids, isn't that snacking? Can some please post their schedules so i can understand better? My Ped. said that i can start solids with DS (i'm not gonna do it yet, 'cause i don't think he's ready), and i want to see what others are doing. Please help me understand!!!!

Thank you all in advance!!!!

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: how do solids and bottles fit in EASY schedule??
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 08:28:37 am »
Esther this is not a stupid question, I have spent days trying to decide when the best time to feed Calum his solids. I have also looked through posts and found schedules similar too or but not quite there.

When you start you will just need to tweak your schedule, so you are happy where you put the solid food.

Also, don't think it is snacking, the reason for the milk then a hour (I sometimes give it right after) is so that our LO still get their milk first (their main food) then the solid food - hope this makes sense. Esther you will find that when Paul is a little older he will start refusing feeds because he wants less bottle in a day anyway, I am going through this at the moment and when Calum went to 4hr EASY, I can't remember if you are on 3 or 4 EASY or how many feeds Paul takes in a day.

I will give you an example of Calums routine when he was Pauls age (1st) , and one for our current amount, 2nd(this is a bit crazy!)

7am - wake
7:30am - milk 7-8oz
11:30am - milk - 7-8oz
12.30pm - solids - 1 ice cube of veggies or fruit mixed with formula and possibly baby rice to thicken
15:30pm - milk - 7-8oz
19.45pm - milk - 10oz
no dream feed - never has
The above is when he was Pauls age, he was taking a bottle every 4 to 4.5hrs - I could have given him a solid meal at 0830, 1230 or 1630.

7am - wake
7:30am - bottle - 6-8oz
8:30am - Breakfast - porridge mixed with 2oz of milk I usually add an icecube of fruit to this as well.
12:00 - bottle - 5-6oz  (I give him as much as he will take)
13.00pm - solids - 3 or 4 veggie or fruit ice cubes
16:00pm - bottle - 5-6oz (I give him as much as he will take)
17:00pm - small yogurt for babies
19.00pm - bottle - 10-12oz
no dream feed - never has.
This routine is our current one, we are still trying different things - I went down to 3 bottles for a few days, but my mothers instinct was not happy at that - I didn't feel he was ready for 3 bottles yet and his milk intake had dropped dramatically. So I have reduced the amount of the middle 2 bottles it still takes an hour to feed him sometimes so we generally end up giving solids straight after milk.

Trust your judgement with the solids, remember to introduce your first food at the time when Paul is the most hungriest i.e morning, lunch or tea, try not to introduce things too late in the evening it will sit in his tummy (check out the stuff I typed for Kaylene/Allison on our Sep/Oct thread).

Esther I hope this helps, but you may find you need to tweak your routine soon anyway, just because of the age Paul is. I have had to tweak mine loads in the past month and Paul is a month younger than Calum.
Lauren x

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 03:41:53 am »
Lauren thanks!!!! Paul is on a 4hr EASY, our current schedule is this:

7:30 wake up and change nappy
8:00 feed (6 or 7oz)
10:00 nap
12:00 feed (7 or 8oz) very hungry
14:00 nap
16:00 feed (5 or 6oz)
17:30 nap
19:00 bath & pj's
19:30 feed (8 or 10oz) extremely hungy
20:00 bedtime
23:00 DF (2 or 3oz)

He doesn't wake to feed at night (thank God!!!)

So i guess the best time to introduce solids would be at 13? i guess i can start by making it part of his A time, don't you think? just as if it was play time???? Does Calum already sit up by himself? why did you decide to go for solids? Sorry for so many questions... ::)

everything is so simple when its just milk uhh?

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 07:35:37 am »
Hi ESther

Your routine is almost identical to Calums  :o but I don't do a d/feed.

From the looks of your routine Paul is hungry more in the afternoon, so yes try it them as part of his A time. Your right, at the moment you are only trying it out and later once feeding is more established you will add that feed into your routine.

Calum doesn't tend to wake for a feed either (thank god!) but that is only in the last 2 weeks.

I had to go for solids because I could not fit any more milk in his bottles during the day, his last feed at 7-7.30pm is over 10 oz  ::)  I just started on baby rice and gradually added babyrice and pears.  Calum still can't sit up on his own, however I feed him on his rocker or high chair.

The constistency of your 'solids' should still very very runny and fall of the spoon easily.  Remember and give him another spoon to play with while you feed him.

Hope your trip home goes OK

Lauren x

Good luck

« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 08:22:33 am by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 10:08:01 am »
Esther
Happy 4 months to Paul  ;)
Lauren x

Offline Nicola_G

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 10:58:06 am »
Esther,

I started solids with my lo at 4.5 months because I had supply issues with my bm and also because Tyson was not putting on weight. He looked like a little bird with no feathers. Just take a look at him now though!

Anyway, once I started solids (and also addressed my supply issue) Tyson never looked back, and he continues to bf now and has an ENORMOUS appetite - actually from the very first taste of solids he surprised me with the amounts he ate.

I actually started his solids with dinner because he was hungriest then. It also worked out very well as he would wake from his 5pm catnap and have solids, followed by a bath, then his bedtime nurse. I continue with that routine now he's a little older. This could work for you too, as I note that your lo is starving at 7.30pm. Pre-solids, I needed to cluster feed before bed anyway (I guess its the toll from a full day of activity and preparation for the night fast) so feeding solids at 6pm was an obvious extension of that.

As for the snacking question, once you get onto 3 meals per day, the lo is more active and bigger so needs more calories during the day. So whilst it sounds like snacking with the frequency, it actually isn't because they just need to get those calories in.

My lo obviously at 4.5 months could not sit up on his own, but I put him in the highchair for feeds anyway, and reclined it a little to help him out. The harness was good at keeping him upright, but we did get slumping. Actually, I think that the whole sitting up and eating solids thing helped him sit up faster - he's been sitting up on his own for a while now, and from when he first could sort of support himself (a few seconds before toppling over) it was only about a week before he was able to solidly sit for a good few minutes. Twisting and reaching followed very quickly after and from memory was a little ahead of the average.
Nicola
Mum to Tyson Luke, born August 1, 2005
In the Australian bush