Author Topic: Breastfeeding whilst pregnant  (Read 1640 times)

Offline charliegirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Breastfeeding whilst pregnant
« on: February 25, 2006, 08:58:17 am »
I first started this topic asking questions on another thread. It seemed sensible to start it as a separate thread in its own right and after a couple of calls for it to be so, here it is.

I was concerned that as I was still breastfeeding my 23 month old that if I got pregnant there would not be any colostrum for the new baby. I was soon put right on that - the colostrum comes through as the pregnancy develops, just as it would if not breastfeeding, and it is up to your nursing son or daughter to decide whether he or she still likes the taste of this changing 'milk' and whether they get enough to bother continuing. That is of course if you yourself can cope with feeding them plus being pregnant.

A great link for all sorts of related questions is here:   http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/index.html

I have since found out that I am pregnant and at the moment my ds is as happy as ever with things. No change noted, although he enjoys being on the boob for more than just the milk. For my part I have quite sore nipples at the moment which makes me whince slightly when he goes on but is ok after.

Still undecided whether to wean him off (mainly because he depends on feeding to settle him at nap times) but also as it would make my life a lot easier. He seems to adapt easily to most things but I don't have the energy to go through with it all at the moment.

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
Re: Breastfeeding whilst pregnant
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 09:17:25 am »
You may find that when your milk changes or your supply decreases he may wean himself  :)
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline charliegirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 14:25:29 pm »
My ds is still feeding fine, although nipples are a fair bit sorer now (nothing like my first six weeks with him though ;)).

My question today is whether anyone has had any experience with their lo becoming more touchy/sensitive whilst breastfeeding when pregnant. He is generally a very even tempered lad, pretty easy going. Now however if he wants raisins and I say something like 'Just wait till I've washed the onion off my hands' he falls to the floor or backs off into a corner and wails. Could he be suffering from my changing hormones coming through my milk or is it just a coincidence and I am about to enter the world of the terrible twos!? :-\ He seems to be a little more clingy now as well but I am sure that I have not said anything to make him feel like this.

Offline JacobMarksMummy

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 20:53:16 pm »
It probaly just coincidence, Iam 5.5weeks pregnant and my DS has sudenly got v.touchy and tempremental too! LOL, he spent a whole hour this morning bawling on my knee because I put him on the floor to play and he didnt want me to. Not like him at all, he is normally such a happy, easy little chap. I'd be interested in other peoples experiences too!  :)
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 22:55:56 pm »
Sorry to hijack the thread but

Congrats NOME!  I had no idea!!!!  I'm very very jealous!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 01:07:40 am »
Charliegirl - no I didn't notice any change in my dd1's behaviour while I was pregnant and nursing her... she has started behaviour like that recently though, so it may be a 2yr old thing...??  That doesn't explain your situation though JacobMarksMummy...!  Congratulations by the way!!

Offline JacobMarksMummy

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 10:04:57 am »
Thankyou for your thoughts ladies  :)
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline JacobMarksMummy

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 16:31:24 pm »
Charliegirl, I've created a new sticky at the top of the BF forum. Its a support thread for all us pg and BF mums. Hope to see you there
 :)
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline charliegirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 20:33:09 pm »
Yep, great idea. Will post there from now on.