Author Topic: New to EASY...help!  (Read 1492 times)

Offline amantha_calder

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
New to EASY...help!
« on: February 25, 2006, 13:30:10 pm »
Hi, my daughter Paige is nearly 5wks, and I have been having a nightmare at nights with her as she only sleeps around 2 hrs between feeds and only takes a couple of ounces of formular each feed. My friend has recommended the Baby Whisperer and I am trying to get through the book, but have a 3 yr old son Oscar, and so finding it difficult to get the time. The easy idea sounds great, Oscar loved his routine so and quite willing to go with this, however he was breast fed so things were different in the beginning, and wondered if I am going wrong somewhere with the bottle feeding.
She usually naps for about 3 - 4 hrs during the day, and will take a 4oz feed, I do bathtime around 7.30 so she has a feed around 8.00, so should I be letting her stay awake for a while before putting her in her cot? Also does anyone think it is too early to put her in her own room as Im sure that its her noises that make me think she is awake and wanting a feed, when prehaps shes not.
Anyway, I could go on but would appreciate any ideas and comments!

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: New to EASY...help!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 15:51:21 pm »
It sounds as though she might have her days and nights mixed up.  During the day I would give plenty of opportunities for her to be in a well lit room with some noises.  She probably isn't staying awake too long after feeds yet, but try to have some awake time with cuddles and "conversation" so she'll start to realize that days are for awake and naps and nights are for long sleeps.  Otherwise, definitely give her some time when she stirs in the night to resettle.  Or, if you want, use a soother/paci to see if she just needs to suckle and drift back to sleep, or is truly hungry.  It is hard to know what they need in the middle of the night.  The smallest sounds wake you and tiredness makes it difficult to make decisions.  Keep us posted.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 22:35:43 pm »
Amantha
This extert is taken from "the Secrets of the Baby-Whisper" p184 - you may not have been able to get to it yet  :-\

Let’s start this discussion by reminding you that your baby’s “day” is twenty-four hours long. She doesn’t know the difference between day and night, so the idea of sleeping through the night means nothing to her. It’s something you want (and need) her to do. It’s not a natural occurrence; you will train her to do it, teach her that there’s a difference between day and night. Here are some reminders I give parents.

Employ the robbing-Peter-to-pay-Paul principle. There is no doubt that keeping your baby on an E.A.S.Y. routine helps speed his sleeping through the night, because it’s a structured yet flexible routine. I hope you’re also keeping track of your baby’s feeds and naps— that way, you better understand his needs. If, for example, he has had a particularly fussy morning and sleeps an extra half hour into what’s supposed to be his schedule, you’d wake him day, never let a baby sleep no longer than three hours – because this will rob his night-time sleep hours. I guarantee that any baby who has six hours of uninterrupted sleep during the day will not sleep for more than three at night. So if you find your baby doing this, you can be sure that his “day” has now become your night. The only way to switch him round is by waking him, thereby robbing Peter of the  hours your baby is using up by sleeping through the day to pay Paul - adding those hours to the night-time sleep.

These are Traceys words, I hope it helps (and I hope it makes sense, I quickly scanned the page into Word but it has a tendancy to miss out words)

Lauren x
Lauren x

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 23:25:41 pm »
i just want to clairfy something first - is she napping 3-4 hrs in one block of time or in total for the daytime hours?  if all in 1 time, then yes you shoudl limit each nap to less than 3 hours so she knows day vs. night. if you mean in total how is her day going because at 5 weeks you woudl want more sleep than that in total and her waking in the night could be overtiredness.

it is never too early for their own room if you are happy to do that - i personally had to move lIv out at 7 weeks because she was a long stitrrer (woudl make noises anywhere up to 40 min before actually waking for food and i was interefering by getting her up for the feed since i was up... once she was in her own room i only heard the actual cry for food rather  than all the stirring in between)  HTH

if you do bath at 7:30 and feed at 8 i woudl just put her straight to bed after that.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline amantha_calder

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 21:29:49 pm »
Thank you all for your advice. She has been napping during the day for upto 4 hrs each nap, but I have tried to get her down to a max of 3hrs, and last night we had a much better night, we even had a 4 hr stint! It really makes sense that she has her days and nights mixed up as she was always most active at night when still inside me !
 I have put her in her own room and we are all sleeping better as she was making so many noises as Debinoz saiys her Lo was doing. Im sure I was disturbing her as much as the other way around, and now she just has afeed and then straight back in cot and the whole thing is only taking about 20 mins max, which is so much better than 1.5hrs we could be up!

Thanks again to you all, its such a great help to feel I have so much support,

Amantha x

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 23:33:39 pm »
sounds good all around! sometimes all it takes is some simple changes and you get instant results! enjoy the better sleep  tonight  ;)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 06:59:52 am »
Congrats Amantha  :D