Author Topic: Transition from Grobag (sleeping sack) to regular bedding  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Bella & Abby's Mummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Transition from Grobag (sleeping sack) to regular bedding
« on: February 22, 2006, 03:28:38 am »
DD is 19 months and now sadly too tall for her 6-18month size Grobags which have been brilliant and kept her nice and warm all night.

I had decided that once she grew out of them she'd be old enough and we would just put her in regular bedding and not buy more expensive Grobags! She has recently moved to a bed (to make way in cot for baby due in May) this transistion has gone very well but...the thing is she is hopeless at keeping the darn bedding on! It is late summer here but we have had a few early mornings where the temp has dropped and I have heard a few moans from her been in and placed a sheet and cotton quilt over her cold body (only to find them off again at 7.00am anyway)!

So my questions are: Has anyone done the transition from sleeping bag to regular bedding with success? And can you teach your lo at this age to pull their blankets up if/when they are cold?
DD1 - July 2004
DD2 - May 2006

Offline ella&jack'smum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 54
Re: Transition from Grobag (sleeping sack) to regular bedding
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 08:50:19 am »
I moved Ella out of grobags at a similar age and (sorry to depress you!) it took months before she could keep her cover on. In the meantime I just re-tucked her before I went to bed, and during the winter put her in really fleecy pjs so she didn't really need the cover for warmth.
Sue

Ella Rose 07/09/02
Jack Rowan 15/03/04
Stratford upon Avon, England

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 09:47:26 am »
DD has had a duvet since 14 mo and can't keep it on her very well. So far I've done what PP said, keep tucking her in and  put her in thick pjs so she doesn't get cold.
I'm about to purchase some of these
http://www.bloomingmarvellous.co.uk/product.aspx?CategoryID=MM_safe&ProductID=40050&MM=true&language=en-GB
she's at an age now that I'm confident she won't wriggle under the duvet and come to any harm.

I've also been teaching her how to pull the duvet up herseld but no luck yet!!!
Kimberley

Offline fiona1973

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 14:51:58 pm »
those grippers are a really good idea. my little girls still in her grobag. its winter here so im not taking her out of it until spring summer. i thought thats when she will need to be moved to a bed. i guess ill have all the problems too.

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 15:36:08 pm »
I changed Grace over to a duvet when she was about 14 mths (a crib duvet). She's been in her big girl bed with a proper sized duvet since she was 22 months and has taken okay to it.

At 25 months she can take her covers on and off as she wants now (which she does). Although this morning she did tell me her bed as "All broken" because the duvet was all smooshed up. Bless. 

Until she learned how to move it herself I just used to tuck it in around her like the other ladies have said (and put on thick PJs if it was very cold).

love
Marie

Offline Valerie W

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 06:58:16 am »
I have 18 month old twins, still in Grobags - I love them!

My son is a giant, and his feet are pushing to the end of his.  His twin sister is quite a bit more petite, still lots of room to grow.  I was also contemplating - when to switch to regular covers?  I thought upcoming summer might be a good time, but from the sounds of the other replies it seems kids can't really keep the covers on for some time to come!  I think I'll wait.

I am pretty sure they make an 18-24 month size of the Grobags (expensive, yes).  But the investment might seem worthy when you get to avoid many a 4 am waking!

Val