Author Topic: Bottle Feeding Problems  (Read 999 times)

Offline mlogan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 25, 2006, 21:24:36 pm »
Trying to get my 4 1/2 month old to accept a bottle and having difficulties.  She used to take a bottle when she was younger, but we (unfortunately) were not consistent and now she does not want to have anything to do with it. I have a drawer full of different bottles and nipples/flow rates that have not worked.   I was wondering when the best time of day is to try giving her a bottle and how long to try for.  I read that you should try for about 5 minutes and if she doesn't take it then stop and try again in an hour. How long should I let this continue? I don't want to stress her out and have her crying for hours and hours.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Bottle Feeding Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 21:43:42 pm »
i had the exact same problem with my lo!..and kicked myself in the butt for what seemed like forever for not giving her a bottle for so long - as when i needed to she wouldn't budge on the issue.  i kept trying a few times a day for i think it was over month - maybe closer to two months until she would consistently take the bottle. i first had to be the one to feed her from it but then she got used to taking it from others.  i didn't try more than 2 or 3 times a day as i didn't want to frusterate her or me so much that she associated it with a negative feeling.  it does take a lot of patience and persistance and frusteration - but eventually it should come around. good luck.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 20:47:43 pm »
Hav a look at this thread, other mums have had the same problem

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=35385.0
Lauren x

Offline mlogan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 13:23:04 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions/link.  We had success yesterday!!! :)  I took the suggestions that I had read from a few other posts. I was out running errands so my husband gave her the bottle in her bouncy chair, he made the EBM quite warm, and warmed the nipple (silicone, tri cut - in case anybody was wondering) and then let a few drops just drip into her mouth, she swallowed and then latched on to the nipple.   Yaaaaaaay. This time will be consistent and keep trying every day. Keep your fingers crossed ;)

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 14:03:56 pm »
Well done you!!!  ;D
Lauren x