Author Topic: excessive night wakings  (Read 1528 times)

Offline slomama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
excessive night wakings
« on: February 26, 2006, 00:21:31 am »
My baby slept great until he was about 4 months old.  From 4-8 months he woke about 3 times in the night.  At 8 months things got terrible.  He started waking up 4 or more times and not going back to sleep without nursing.  Our doctor told us to let him cry it out and not go in.  We did this, increasing the time between going in and laying him back down in his crib- didn't work.  We tried not going in at all- he would cry for 2-3 hours before he fell asleep(i feel like a terrible mom just for trying this).  We tried each of these methods for at least 2 weeks for consistency.  In those weeks their was no improvement at all - I would have stuck with it had i seen even the tiniest progress or improvement.  I've read and tried methods in The Baby Whisperer,  Crying baby, Sleepless Nights, and The No-Cry Sleep approach. We've tried co-sleeping, sleeping next to his crib, classical music, crib aquarium, air purifier (for noise).  He is now 10 1/2 months old.  He goes to bed between 6:30 and 7:30 in the evening and wakes between 5:30 and 6:30 a.m.  During the night  he sleeps for his first stretch for about 3 hours, then wakes every 1-2 hours all night long!  Our newest approach is going in before he gets too worked up (usually about 2 minutes after he wakes and starts crying), and laying him back down, patting his back for about a minute.  Sometimes he'll go back to sleep, sometimes he won't.  And even if he goes back to sleep he wakes up an hour or two later.  He is overtired and cranky during the  day. He will only sleep one half hour nap and one- one hour nap during the day. He still nuses about 3 times during the day and I'll feed him once at night, usually around 2a.m.  He eats three big meals a day and 2 snacks. My four year old was a bad sleeper as a newborn, but all of the advise and tips in these books I read helped and by the time she was about 8 months she was waking up only twice a night and returning to sleep easily( pretty sad that I would be happy to be waking up twice a night now).  We have very consistent routines and schedules.  Also, he never plays in his crib when he wakes even in the morning or after a nap , he only will cry until I come and get him.     If anyone has any advise, I really would appreciate.  Our whole house is tired and I want to enjoy my baby again.

Offline Elizabeth

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 03:37:03 am »
I would definitely stick with your new approach - every time he wakes, go in and try to comfort him.  We used pu/pd with our lo and it did take a bit but eventually worked really well.  We would go in and pick him up and give him hugs to calm him down, and say the same thing everytime - "its sleep time, time to go to sleep" and then lay him back down with his blanket and kiss him on the forehead and then say I love you and leave the room.  And if he couldn't settle back down, we'd go in and repeat the process till he fell asleep.  Granted it took awhile the first few days, but after a bit he started to get it and felt secure that we were still around and would come to him when he called.
Thats great that you have consistent routines and schedules, I think thats so important for babies, so they know whats coming next and they feel safe.  I also think that good naps lead to good night sleep, so if you could use pu/pd at nap time as well that might help. You're right, he probably is really overtired and thats why he wakes so frequently during the night.  The reason he never plays in his crib could just be because he doesn't feel secure in it yet and has a negative association with it.  I think that if you consistenly go in and comfort him each time he cries that he will start to relax and he will know that you're there.  Hopefully this helps!  Hang in there.
Elizabeth

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: excessive night wakings
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 04:21:44 am »
At 8months separation anxiety would have kicked in and probably caused some of the waking & the fact you have let him cry back to sleep for 2-3 hours kind of says to me he really doesn't trust that you will cme to him, so he crys to say "I need you" & he does need lots of reassurance to re-build that trust that you do go to him when he calls/needs you.... you may not think he has a valid reason, but to him if he crys it is "important to him"

I think you do need to be VERY consistent & with my 9mo (& my ds#1 at about the same age) I have had nights where it was best just to put a mattress on the floor & sleep in the room with them.

Will try to get back... but nap time over here & can't do more
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05