Author Topic: Gagging and sick during/immediately after eating  (Read 751 times)

Offline katesmum38

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Gagging and sick during/immediately after eating
« on: February 26, 2006, 21:26:13 pm »
Hi there,  New member and not sure about all this.  My dd is 10 1/2 months old and has always been an excellent eater until a few days ago.  She's started gaggin as she is fed her savoury food or yoghurt, but is ok with rice cakes, bread sticks, stewed fruit and oranges.  Last Thursday she was sick whilst taking her tea, but it was obvious that there was some lunch in there too! and she was a little sick yesterday when given a piece of cooked carrot.  Today she was ok with breakfast and dinner - we have been taking it slow with small mouthfuls and lots of encouragement.  However teas was a different matter.  I cut down the amount but still she was gagging alot.  I gave her lots of water with the food, and when she started turning her face away I stopped and changed to yoghurt - which she usually loves.  She was pulling - I don't like this - face, and then gagged again and then the whole lot came back, not projectile, it just sort of flooded out.  She was obviously v upset.  Calmed her down and changed her, and let her have a breast feed, for comfort as much as sustenance.  We then gave her a tiny bit of bread - gagged again and brought back all the milk.  Calmed, bathed and changed her.  Fed her breast milk again and she fed quite well and has gone down to sleep (petrified she will be sick in the night and choke).  She does seem to have a bit of a temp, but I'm not particularly good at taking it so not reliable. 

Anyway long way round to question - is this a stage?  Should I get her to the doc's asap - don't want to be one of those panics at everything mums - similar experiences and results greatly appreciated.

Kate's mum (Tina)

Kate was born 6th April, for an accountant to have a baby on the first day of the tax year is a bit of a joke!

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: Gagging and sick during/immediately after eating
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 04:12:55 am »
Vomiting, even if it is not projectile can lead to deyhydration.  It is not normal for babies to suddenly start throwing up food, even if it is only certain types of foods.  Also, you said she may be running a temp.  Even if she is not, I would make an appointment with her doctor as soon as possible.  Reflux can develop at anytime in one's life as well, but the only one to determine what is going on and why is the doctor.  Hope that helps.  By the way, I wouldn't care about what anyone else thinks about you as a worrying mom, it is MUCH better to be safe than sorry!  Keep us posted on what's up.

Offline katesmum38

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Gagging and sick during/immediately after eating
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 08:25:09 am »
Thanks, she has had a good nights sleep, only had to get up once to soothe, and kept down her bedtime feed and her 4am feed today.  Although still a bit warm I don't think she's as hot as yesterday.  Hubby is the one to stay at home and look after - I unfortunately have returned to full time work.  We are going to see how she gets on this morning - and if no real improvement will make an appointment at the docs.

I'll keep you posted on how she is.

Kate was born 6th April, for an accountant to have a baby on the first day of the tax year is a bit of a joke!