Author Topic: How do you brush your LO's teeth?  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Baby Ethan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How do you brush your LO's teeth?
« on: February 27, 2006, 10:09:10 am »
My ds has just got his first two teeth and i was wondering how and when you brushed you lo's teeth.
My ds won't let anything go in his mouth, unless it's a.) a dummy b) a spoon preferably with something sweet on the end and if he's not hungry then don't bother or c.) something new that he's never chewed before. I tried c thinking a tooth brush is new and he'll want to chew it, that worked for about 5 seconds before he got bored and wouldn't let it go into his mouth again. He literally purses his lips together and there's no chance of getting anything in it, even my finger.
Laura

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 67
  • Devon, England
Re: How do you brush your LO's teeth?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 10:47:44 am »
I have just bought a fantastic new toothbrush for Jack. It is basically a piece of rubber with thin rubber bristles on one end and a kind of handle on the other. The idea is that they enjoy chewing it so will 'brush' themselves whilst sort of teething on it. The whole thing is a soft rubbery material, especially designed to encourage them to brush their teeth. I bought it from Superdrug for £2.99 and Jack loves chewing on it. It is supposed to be able to clean 10 teeth at a time!
I have attached a picture so you can see it.
x

Offline jobi

• VBACing, homebirthing, breastfeeding, cloth nappying, babywearing mum to 6...
  • Showing Appreciation 241
  • MUFC-The religion...
    • Ndi
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 10:56:31 am »
ooo that looks really cool 8)
Jamie's fine about brushing his teeth, its Marc(3) thats the problem, he also hates toothpaste :-\
Jo  
Mum to
Jordan-28-04-97
Marc Alex-30-06-02
Jamie- 06-05-04
And Shelby- 14-07-07
And now Brandon and Aimee!
Married to kev the invisible!!

Crazy? Moi? Of course!!

Offline Baby Ethan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 12:18:41 pm »
i got one of them too! I was sure it would work but i don't think he likes the feel of the bristles so he keeps flipping it over and chewing the wrong end  ::)
Laura

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 09:22:13 am »
i bought one of these when my ds was 6 months as a geting ready to brush teeth toothbrush, all the babies we had visit us went for it straight away and LOVED it and so does Ethan... now that his first tooth has just poked through we are getting ready to use it for real....

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 16:28:08 pm »
since dd was very small every time i would bathe her, wash her face i would use the cloth to 'wipe' her gums to get her used to something being in her mouth. now that she has teeth the washcloth thing doesn't work very often although i always try and we bought a little finger brush and it comes with toothpaste (not really toothpaste very sweet...) and she loves it - when she sees it go on my finger she opens very wide! i recently tried a small toothbrush as she always seems very interested when i am brushing my teeth and she really liked having that in her mouth also.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline mrsrobbo

• Showing Appreciation 20
  • Bev, mum to Bradley, Paige and 9 angels x
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 04:20:21 am »
Bradley has 6 teeth now, thought i would have ages to wait he is only 6 months! when his 1st 2 came at 11 weeks, i bought a baby toothbrush and gave him it to hold, naturally it went straight into his mouth, now I brush his teeth 1st, as best i can, then he gets the toothbrush and copies me, so he does it himself too! so maybe just letting him hold it so he gets used to it, and he realises its nothing bad at all