Author Topic: what to do about freezing food?  (Read 2371 times)

Offline sarahS

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
what to do about freezing food?
« on: February 27, 2006, 11:42:30 am »
Hi,

i want to start making more home cooked food for my baby but i am unsure about freezing and then reheating the food, especially chicken as i have been told not to reheat chicken at all. can i freeze it and then reheat it or not? Also i dont have a microwave and i am not sure about how to reheat his food.

And on a completley different subject, a lot of the recipies i have call for unsalted chicken or vegtable stock, i have searched the supermarkets high and low and cannot find such a thing, does it exsist or can i use normal stock?

Thanks
SARAH

Offline maggieruth

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 251
Re: what to do about freezing food?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 13:15:00 pm »
we aren't doing chicken yet here but i have got a veg stock recipe (commerical ones might be too high in salt for a baby so i do a batch of veg stock when i get time).  its in the Anabel Karamel book. (she also has a chicken stock one)  i can copy it out if you need it!
HTH!

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 21:21:23 pm »
Hi
This is a site I came across last week when I was trying to decide if I could freeze mango and apricots http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/freeze.html

I also follow the Annabel Karmel recipe books.

HTH
Lauren x

Offline evanskimberley

• Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 08:03:39 am »
I've frozen and reheated most foods with no complications at all, you just need to make sure they are heated up thoroughly.

After cooking the food, leave to cool for a bit before putting in the freezer. If you put warm food in your freezer it will heat up your freezer and maye defrost some things which wil then refreeze which isn't safe!
Put into ice cube trays or small pots for freezing, then once frozen you can pop them out and store  in bags to allow yo extra room.

If yu haven't got a microwave yuo can defrost ver nigt in the fridge or on the counter during the day, if you do this, make sure you put it back in the fridge as soon as its defrosted so it doesn't warm up.

You could heat up the foodin a saucepan, pour it in, or fill a bowl with boiling water and ist it in there till its hot. Always better to make sure its hot and cool it down rather than just warm.

All of this is to kill the bugs, bacteria grows in warmth but can be killed by really heating it up hot so the key is to freeze quickly before anything can grow and then heat to make sure there is othing there before to give it to lo.

OMG that sound awful, enough to drive anyone to jars!! its really not that complicated and you just need to thing of basic food hygeine and common sense.

there's a good previous thread about chicken, check that outm it should answer your questions but do post back if it doesn't!

Happy cooking!
Kxx
Kimberley