Author Topic: Frequent wakings at bed time  (Read 820 times)

Offline erikam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 27, 2006, 17:44:41 pm »
I need to know if anyone has the same problem as I do and if someone has any advise.
My son is almost 6 months old, has not yet started solids because of acid reflux which has been taken care of. He is on a 4 hour bottle fed and on EASY since 3 months old. He takes a very long nap at 10am (between 1hr1/2 and 2 hrs) then three short 45 min naps during the day usually before eating. I bathe him at 7:30, eats at 8pm and falls to sleep on his own between 8:30 and 9pm. But after this, he wakes up crying after 30 mins about three times before really falling asleep, I only need either to give him his pacifier or carry him for 5 seconds and he falls asleep right away.
Please help

Erika

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: Frequent wakings at bed time
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 20:17:44 pm »
i would say it's one of three things: overstimulation before bed (in A time after last nap), overtired (maybe not getting enough sleep having short naps) or not as common but it was many times with my lo bad gas. i would maybe try getting lo down to three naps a day - 2 longer ones and a catnap (long-1-2hrs).
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 04:38:58 am »
Hi

I would agree with Tawnya and i would also add that 8.30 - 9pm is quite a late bedtime for an almost 6 month old.  That indicates that your LO probably is overtired at bedtime which leads to the difficultly falling into a deep sleep and hence your wakings.  I would suggest that you try to move bedtime forward to around 7 which is commonly the time that babies biorhythms tell them is bedtime. 

Also I would suggest that you try consolidating 2 of the afternoon naps into 1 nap (if you can) so that your LO is having a long am and pm nap, and a catnap if necessary.

Good luck
Jo

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 05:56:58 am »
Hi I dont know if this helps but we went through a very similar thing. Gage would wake after bedtime every hour for about 3 times before falling asleep. At the time I thought he was overtired and I would reduce his A time. He did this for about 2 mths before I realized that he was not tired enough from the day to stay asleep at night. I just figured that because he was overtired (after reading his cues) by nap time that he was a tired dude. NO! I finally started extending his a time (gradually) despite hsi protest and wallah sleeping at beditme. Take a look at your A times and see if that is the prob. HTH