Author Topic: Getting enough to eat??  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
Getting enough to eat??
« on: February 28, 2006, 05:35:03 am »
Hi, my bub has been waking between 12-2:30 am for a feed, even if he has a dream feed. Then he will wake every 3-4 hrs after that. He has been doing this for some time now. He will eat between 4-6oz. I have a feeling he is waking out of habit rather than hunger as he is getting solids and about 30 oz from 4am-8pm. Can someone tell me is 30 oz is about right for his age? I want to employ the wake to sleep method or PU/PD, but I want to make sure he is not starving. I have tried upping his calories and he still wakes up. What is normal amount of times he should wake at his age?  

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
Re: Getting enough to eat??
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 14:07:34 pm »
I would say this amount is right bang on....Logan was drinking that around that age.  Sometimes it can be a growth spurt.  Note his age below, he eats between 26-30ozs a day and he gets solids.  How big is your babe?  Is he teething? Logan has recently become fussy to take the bottle as well so he is drinking a little less. 
Sounds good to me!!! 

Good Luck with your sleep issues!!

Logans Mom ;D

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 20:01:40 pm »
Hi Gages mom the advise I was given in the UK was :

One of the most confusing things about feeding your baby formula is trying to work out how much to feed him. And there's no single answer — it depends on your baby's age, weight, and whether you're feeding him only formula, or using it in combination with breastmilk or solids. Here are a few pointers to help you decide how much your baby needs:

Multiply your baby's weight by 2.5 - 2.7 ounces of formula
If your baby isn't eating any solids (the recommended age for starting solids is six months), the general rule of thumb for formula amounts is 2.5 - 2.7 ounces (oz) per pound (lb) of body weight. So if your baby weighs 6lb, he should consume about 15 or 16oz of formula in a 24-hour period. If he weighs 10lb, he should have roughly 25 - 27oz in a 24-hour period.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/refcap/9136.html

This is a guideline only, every baby is different and take into account his solids.

Might also be worthwhile checking out this post to see how to cut down at night https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=46907.30

hope this helps & Good luck
Lauren x

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 22:39:44 pm »
I think this guideline is more for younger babies isn't it???  My son is 20lbs and 6 months and I can't imagine him drinking 50ozs in a day!!!  The book I am currently reading, Anabel Karmel "First Meals" says from 6months to 1yr baby should be drinkinng between 17- 27  ozs a day......This sounds more reasonable as my son is at about 27ozs and he is six months as i mentioned.  This guideline takes into account that they are now on solids and their milk intake will change once they start getting nutrients and vitamins from the solids, the milk is still very very important though.....

Good Luck

Logans Mom ;D

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 22:57:17 pm »
Thanks ladies for your replies. I have read the suggested thread and found it very doable. In fact, I sort of tried it this morning. I diluted his feed, but I had no idea where to go from there. Thanks a million. I will definately try this method.