Author Topic: New here ... need help on night wakings  (Read 893 times)

Offline cmazMom2b

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 01, 2006, 12:01:15 pm »
Hi, i've been lurking here for the past 2 weeks or so and have been reading alot of your posts. They are very informative!
I a little intro, my name is Chantal, i've got a (almost) 11 month old dd named Alessia.  She was an excellent sleeper, sleeping through the night starting at around 6 weeks until she started teething at 5 months.  It goes downhill from there.   She's not handling teething very well.

In the past weeks, she's been going to bed around 7pm - 7:30pm, wakes up at 4ish-am where I go in a soothe her by placing my hand on her back or tummy and she usually would fall back asleep within 5 min.  She's an early riser, usually up between 5:30am and 6:30am.  We even got to a point where I was able to place her in her crib awake and walk out of the room, she'd fuss for anywhere between 2 and 10 min and fall asleep on her own.  She takes two 45 min to 1 hour naps usually at 10am and 2pm.

Lately, she's been up almost every 3 hours.  If I leave the room, she screams. I've got to wait next to her crib or by the door until she's asleep.  If she hears the wood floors creak as I leave her room, she wakes up and screams.  I've got to start the whole process over again. PD, keep my hand on her back, shh etc.  She'll settle down relatively quickly but again, if she hears me leave, she's up again.

Last night I spent 1.5 hours trying to leave her room, everytime I thought she was settled down and back asleep, she'd hear me leave and cry again.  At 3am, I couldn't do it anymore, I let her cry for 10 min and she finally fell asleep on her own until 5:30am this morning.    :'(

I guess I just want reassurance that i'm doing the right thing by going back in there everytime she hears me leave the room. It's getting ridiculous though, i'm starting to try and convince my husband that we need new floors  :D
I can't keep doing this anymore, it's been going on for 2 weeks and it seems as if we're regressing instead of progressing.  Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for the novel ....

Offline tamolliesmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: New here ... need help on night wakings
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 01:31:30 am »
Hi there... I wish I knew what to tell you...then I could help myself!  My dd is 22 mos and has just about the exact story as you...slept thru the night at 5 weeks until 8 mos...teething...waking every 2-3 hours wanting to nurse.   Today I'm experimenting w/the possibility that she's overtired.  That would explain a lot.  Could that be it for yours?

I'm sorry that I can't be more help.  But I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in this.  She will grow up and she will start sleeping better, I promise.  Eventually...

Tiffany

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: New here ... need help on night wakings
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 08:02:39 am »
I think at 11months old separation anxiety is probably part of the issue now, so you probably do have to stay with her just to build her trust & then gradually work towards leaving earlier, but it can take time... I know at about 1yo with ds#1 I spent nights sleeping on the floor in his room as it was the easiest way to deal with it.

I would also say with the early rising that she may be ready to move to one nap a day which may also help the 4am wake up if she is actually a bit more tired. when it comes to naps/bedtime... the plus of moving to 1 nap is the total sleep in 24hours often increases too.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05