Author Topic: Baby takes different amounts........  (Read 1209 times)

Offline elliotlove

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 01, 2006, 16:32:02 pm »
Is this normal? My 3 mo old is about 12 pounds. He is on 3 hour EASY (although we just started a few days ago and he's still waking during the night).
At 7am he took 4 oz
At 10am he would only take 1 and 1/2 oz!!!

Another question:
for his next feeding do I let him take like 5 or 6 oz as he will be very hungry.
OR
do I only give him 4 (which is about the average he takes) to get him on track?
 ???

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Re: Baby takes different amounts........
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 16:34:19 pm »
Hi

Personally I would let him eat as much as he wants. Babies are just like us - they're hungrier at some times in the day and less hungry at others. Follow his lead - he'll let you know how much he wants to eat.

love

Marie

Offline elliotlove

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 16:36:15 pm »
Thank you for responding....
Its frustrating when he doesnt eat a lot.....

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 16:37:30 pm »
well...is your lo feeding throughout the night? if so, how much, as this may be the reason why he will only take  a little first thing in the day.  also, maybe (i know he is only 3 months) he is ready for a little longer between feedings?...maybe stretch it to 3 and a half or 4 hrs and that way he will be hungrier and take more (i suggest doing this gradually 15 minutes at a time though).  give him as much as he will eat, but if u are feeding him during the night, maybe u want to cut those down slowly, ounce by ounce, every few days so he will naturally be hungrier during the day and take more...btw he may be going through a growth spurt...if he hasn't already...but as the previous poster said - sometimes they are hungrier than others...
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 17:39:18 pm »
Hi Elliotlove

I agree with teezee - how much are you  feeding your LO at night?  Also my DS started to change to a 4hr easy when he was 3 months old, I missed the cues and for about a week he played with his food. I was still feeding him every 3 hr, because that what he used to do, I then twigged that he wasn't hungry when I was trying to feed him and for a few days I followed HIS lead for eating and sure enough he was on a 4hr EASY or very near to it. This may be work at try  ???

When your making up his feeds always add another 1oz just in case he is particularly hungry. You may also find when you go to 4hr EASY he only take 4 bottles and a dreamfeed (if you do a d/f).

Give him as much as he wants, you can't overfeed him because, he will bring it back.
HTH, let me know

Lauren x
Lauren x

Offline elliotlove

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 18:27:26 pm »
thanks - I DO do the dream feed and we have just started 3 hour EASY a few days ago so its a bit of a struggle. He woke up last night and I fed him twice and now I realize I shouldnt have  - or I should have just given him a small amount.

Advice.......what should I do when he wakes at 2 and 5? just give him a small amount in hopes to wean him?
thanks so much. we are new to this

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 19:59:36 pm »
elliotlove - I think what you should start to do is work out how often your little one actually wants fed, 3 hr EASY may not be appropriate if he wants fed nearer 3.5hr then ultimately 4hrs. Once your daytime routine is sorted, then the night will automatically change if it needs to. I would feed as normal at night, as longer as you are sure he is hungry, but to be honest it is still possible at 3months for 2nights wakings my DS did it at roughly the same time as yours. He dropped the 2am feed and started waking at 4.30am ish instead.

How much do you give as a night feed compared to his what he takes a normal  daytime feed?

HTH
Lauren x