Author Topic: Where to start...  (Read 1471 times)

Offline alex and danny

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Where to start...
« on: March 01, 2006, 16:59:42 pm »
Hello!  I am a BW fan and have had my lo on EASY since birth.  However I have a close friend who now really needs BW!  I have offered to help her implement BW method, but I am unsure of where to start?  Her lo is a spirited almost 8 month old, who has lots of feeds a day (snacker); falls asleep with the bottle - only has a couple of 30-40min naps a day (on a good day-if walked with or without bottle) and wakes during the night (3-6 times).  Should we start with the E...getting him on a 3 or 4 hour feeding sched?  Or do we tackle the naps?  What do you suggest?/?  Thanks for any help!   :) ???
Alex with fun and supportive husband Danny; proud parents of our Angel/Touchy Jacob

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Where to start...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 09:50:07 am »
Hope this helps for a starter...

1st goal is to get her down for naps in each EASY cycle,
2nd goal would be to get her to nap for longer than 1 sleep cycle as often as you can,
3rd goal is to stretch her to mionimum 3hrs between feeds and where she is capable (either due to a long nap or due to her lack of hunger at 3 hr mark) stretch her closer to 4hrs

To make the above goals make sense, I have also added the transistion guide as something to visual to follow.

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 21:02:35 pm »
Alex, how are things getting on for your friend?  I meant to post on this, and forgot it when it moved to page 2  :-[.  Anyway, looks like you got some good advice.  I second the suggestion to have her move feedings to 3-3.5 hours to start with, and from there work in 15 min increments over 4 days to a 4 hr routine.  Just have her do activities to distract him during this transition time.  He won't starve, it will just be a few days, and he should actually eat better with his meals more spaced out.  Do you know what his solids intake is like?  It might help him with the more spaced out feedings if she gives the bottle/breast followed by solids 1-1.5 hrs later.  That way he's not all of the sudden waiting so long for his food.
I think with a more stable feeding schedule, his naps will fall into place.  Have you been able to explain to her about watching for sleep cues?  With a spirited baby, I understand it can be difficult, because they almost look hyper and excited when they are actually exhausted.  For that reason, she may want to go by the clock.  Have her keep a journal for a few days to see if she can track any consistancies.  I'd say at 8 mos, he would probably have A times of 1.75-2.25 in the morning, 2-2.25 after the first nap, and then may or may not take a catnap.  However, while adjusting his sleeping schedules, he may need a catnap to make it through the transitions.  Oh, my first suggestions was supposed to be have a consistant wake time from which to work. 
She'll probably need to read the book to best understand Tracy's methods on sleep training, b/c he will probably need it.  For a spirited baby, I don't know if pu/pd will work (which is what I would normally suggest), but if you'd like we can get some more info on other techniques.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline alex and danny

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 00:27:07 am »
Hi! Thanks for your suggestions.... we haven't actually started yet.  What other techniques do you mean - for a spirited baby for sleep?  Thanks alot!  :)
Alex with fun and supportive husband Danny; proud parents of our Angel/Touchy Jacob

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 00:50:59 am »
For a spirited baby, you sometimes have to alter the shh/pat technique and only doing the shhing with a firm hand held on their body.  Many times, they require a completely dark room to block out visual stimulation, and often times white noise (a fan, a humidifier, or a CD made to resemble white noise). 
Let us know what happens.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007