Author Topic: Weaning off the breast  (Read 1907 times)

Offline pinklady

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Kimberly
Weaning off the breast
« on: March 01, 2006, 19:55:33 pm »
I have a 6 month old baby girl called Kimberly ;D.  When she was a newborn, I used to express some milk so that my partner could help with feeding during the night to give me a break.  It soon became apparant that he had no intention of helping me during the night (bless him :() so I decided to stop expressing the milk.  Kimberly used to take the bottle fine :D (up to about 6 weeks old) then because I stopped giving her the bottle she will not entertain the idea now.  I have spent a fortune on bottles and cups :o but still no joy.  I have tried giving her a bottle filled with cool boiled water just to get her used to the bottle...she will use it as a teething ring but will not drink from it ::).  My Mum has tried giving her a bottle and so has my partner.  I really would like to wean her off the breast for many reasons, firstly she is a bit of a snacker when it comes to feeding and as I am not sure how much she is getting I still feed on demand, which at the moment can be every 2 hours during the night....secondly, I think she uses me as a pacifier so I'm hoping a bottle will reduce this, thirdly I would like to enjoy a night out knowing that someone can babysit and feed Kimberly, and finally because I need to return to work a.s.a.p......I think I'm trying to say that although I will miss breastfeeding, I am also ready for it now!  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Many Thanks

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Re: Weaning off the breast
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 10:27:39 am »
Just bumping you up to the top of the pile.
Kxx
Kimberley

Offline evelyn

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 14:11:00 pm »
hi there we are having the same problem with 5 month old lily,but for the last 4 nights we have managed to give her a dreamfeed with a haberman bottle, as she is in control of the flow, she doesnt get overwhelmed, and as she is so sleepy she is not aware of the bottle but will hopefully become accustomed to the feel of it!
DH is to give her first awake feed with it at the weekend...we layed off her for a while so hopefully she will have forgotten all the stress by now and be more open to it again...will let you know of any progress!
Proud mum to Alice 16/3/1999 and Lily 7/10/2005

Baby No. 3 due 20th May 2008.

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 17:47:34 pm »
I'm sorry you are having so many difficulties, it must be really stressful for you.

This link here leads you to a mama who was having the same troubles.  Maybe there is something there that can help you.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=53974.0

Also, at the top of the bfing forum there is a thread for mamas who are trying to introduce bottles to their babies.  Perhaps you can find some info there too.

I wish you luck and give you many many hugs!
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline pinklady

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Kimberly
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 19:26:00 pm »
Thank you for your help, I'm new to forum's and wasn't quite sure how to get around.

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 19:57:18 pm »
No problem.  Let us know if there's anything else you need.

:)

Offline evelyn

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 13:15:31 pm »
Hi there, just an update! Our lo will now take a few oz from haberman and dh! I havent tried her yet, only the dreamfeed, i think im too afraid she will refuse and we would beback to square one!  At least i know she will take the bottle now and wont starve!
How have youbeen getting on with your lo?

Offline pinklady

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Kimberly
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 11:00:55 am »
Well done you!!

Amazingly :o, Kimberly took a bottle for the first time yesterday.  Only took about 3 1/2 oz's but it's a start, she has also took 3 oz's this morning.  I used the Mothercare Nature bottles, which I have tried in the past.  I don't know if it's because I changed the formula milk, I tried Farley's milk, whereas before I tried Aptimal, SMA and Cow & Gate.  The only problem is that she associates my breast for going to sleep and no matter how much she drinks/eats she still wants me before she will go back to sleep, but like I said it's a start and I know I need to be strong because breast feeding is so rewarding that I think I'm gonna miss it. :'(

Offline evelyn

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 14:37:29 pm »
Thats great news!  Lily hasnt taken that much from a bottle yet!  I empathise with the mixed feelings about weaning!  Although i never intended to bf for this long, i am now considering expressing when i return to work!  You would think the bad dose of thrush we have at the minute would deter me , but nope!

Hope it keeps getting better for you!

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 15:17:16 pm »
I applaud both of you!

;D

Offline pinklady

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Kimberly
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 15:22:56 pm »
I too wasn't intending to breastfeed for this long!!!  I need to go back to work as well but I think I'm using Kimberly not taking a bottle as an excuse.  I wish you all the luck, keep me posted on your progress and if you have any good ideas that work for you please let me know.  As far as the thrush goes, we're just glutton's for punishment!!!!