Author Topic: Looking for support--breastfeeding & pregnancy  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Maia&Lia

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Looking for support--breastfeeding & pregnancy
« on: March 03, 2006, 05:52:26 am »
So, I got a + hpt tonight and I'm a little sad--primarily because I can tell my milk supply is decreasing and I'm just not ready to wean my 9 month old. I'm looking for some support from moms who have gone through this as well. Is there anything I can do to boost my supply? Supplements? Anything?

Thanks in advance for any support you may have to offer.

-Alessia
Alessia
Mom to...

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
Re: Looking for support--breastfeeding & pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 10:02:15 am »
Hi!

Congratulations!

I'm pg and BF too, I am hoping to set up a sticky as there are quite a few of us on the boards in the same situation. Its a pretty scary and daunting time, most of us seem to be having supply issues.

I'm not sure about supplements that would be safe to take during pg. I've just been trying to drink loads and loads of water and rest a little bit extra in the day. I think eating a well balanced diet shud help too but I havnt found a wonder cure yet  :) You cud try pumping? Your LO nine months right? How oftern is she nursing? My DS is 10months and nurses about 3times a day. Spek to you soon  :)
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline Maia&Lia

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 11:43:17 am »
Hi there,

Congratulations to you on your pregnancy!
I think it would be great to establish a thread where we can all talk, etc. I'm hoping someone will have some good advice for all of us. It really breaks my heart to think that I may have to stop breastfeeding MUCH earlier than I had anticipated since I don't think my body will produce enough milk for my daughter. She is currently nursing about 6-7 times a day and hardly eats any solids. She hasn't been all that interested so we haven't been forcing the issue (per our pediatrician's recommendations). I'm so worried now that she is going to lose weight...  I haven't given her a bottle since she was 2-months-old. We had a rough time at that point in her life and "forcing" her to take the bottle just didn't seem logical. In retrospect, maybe it would have made things easier. I probably would have developed a stash of breastmilk to use to supplement with and the transition to fewer feedings a day would probably have been much easier. Ahh well, live and learn, right?

Anyway, I'd love to have a support group filled will suggestions of things that have helped to keep the breastfeeding going strong. Let's see how many mommies we can pull together!

-Alessia
Alessia
Mom to...

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 16:29:50 pm »
Hi Alessia!

I've created the thread at the top of the BF forum  :)

See you there!
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline Maia&Lia

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 17:12:06 pm »
Great! Thanks!
I'll be there!!!

-Alessia
Alessia
Mom to...

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 20:36:17 pm »
Congratulations on your pregnancy adkmaia.  I bf my dd1 throughout my pregnancy with dd2.  However dd1 was just over 10m when I fell pregnant, so by the time I realised (after her 1st birthday!!) I had started the process of introducing cow's milk.  She didn't drink much of that for a few months, but since she was used to drinking water from a sippy cup (she finally got the hang of that at around 10m, she too had never taken a bottle), and was eating cheese and yogurt etc, I wasn't worried about it.  I never thought about increasing my supply.  Yes, it did reduce, but my dd1 didn't care!  She just carried on nursing regardless, and then when the milk came back in after dd2's birth, she loved it!  So, unless your lo is worried about the reduction in milk supply, there is no need to wean her if you don't want to.

However, I'm not sure whether you might need to think about some sort of formula supplementation until 1 yr - hopefully someone else can advise you on this part.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 00:04:02 am by deenz »

Offline Maia&Lia

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 22:05:58 pm »
Thanks Denise!
I am going to keep going strong until I can tell that she isn't getting enough to eat. Hopefully she will continue to nurse throughout the entire pregnancy...that would THRILL me! We'll see how it all goes. Was your daughter sleeping through the night when you got pregnant? Maia has started waking more frequently and I'm not sure if it is because she is hungry or if it is comfort nursing because of teething. I'm hesitant to do anything to mess with her because I'm so unsure...but I sure need the sleep!

-Alessia
Alessia
Mom to...

Offline deenz

• Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 00:03:26 am »
Yes, dd was sleeping through the night... we never had any problems with that (until a bit later when travelling messed things up for a bit).  She also didn't get her first tooth til 17m, so we were lucky not to have to deal with night-wakings due to teething either. 

Sounds like you have a good plan...  sorry I can't help with the night nursing issue.  I know it must be very tiring for you, especially with the new pregnancy (that was the main reason why I ended up taking a pregnancy test, since I could not understand why I was so tired all the time!).

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 21:43:43 pm »
Alessia!

You sneaky girl, you!  Congratulations to you!

When I got pregnant, I also noticed a big decrease in supply, but dd was keen to just keep right on nursing.  Of course, she was already 15 months and eating a lot of solids.  I agree with Denise, that if you just make sure to introduce yogurt and cheese (which Maia will hopefully take to), then start to introduce cow's milk at the end of the first year, Maia will be fine, and you can keep right on nursing.

Congrats again!
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09