Author Topic: How to tweak schedule  (Read 1153 times)

Offline jswerczek

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
How to tweak schedule
« on: March 03, 2006, 18:46:28 pm »
We are traveling out of town for a funeral and I'm a little nervouse about naps. The funeral is at 10 a.m. when my little boy who is almost nine months old lays down for a nap. I could probably push him a bit, but don't want him to be fussy during the funeral. I have thought about getting up at 5 a.m. for the day to make it all work, but that seems a little extreme :) He can stay awake for 2.5-3 hours but then gets tired. After the funeral is a lunch and I'm not sure where I can lay him down at, but he needs to sleep at some point!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Jennifer

Mom to Jake born 6-16-05 and Julia born 8-29-07

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: How to tweak schedule
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 20:41:13 pm »
this is one of those situations where you just have to go with the flow as much as possible and get creative.  how far "out of town" is the funeral - is it longerthan a 1/2 hr drive? if you can try to time the drive for when he mightbe tired enough to take at leats a 30-45 min nap then you can buy yourself some flexibility.  just try to att the minimum take the edge of tiredness.

at the funeral - if he starts getting crnky/fussy don't stress yorself too much - he is a baby and peopel will have to understand. as much as it might be tempting top let others take him "to giveyou a break" i woudl say if he is not well rested to limit this as much as possble - passing a baby around can be extremely stimulating and tiring. also he will already be out of his element/routine and possibly overtired and this coudl make things worse.  just holding him during the funeral could relax him - keep his stim.. low and you might buy some more time as well - if you can keep him in a stroller even better as he MIGHT doze off especially if you cover it up so he has nothing to look at.

try to find a time int he day when you can get him down for a proper nap - even if it means leaving a bit early.

sorry for your loss - don't try to worry too much about sticking to his routine - just do the best you can and keep it all low key and he will probably surprise you. as long as he gets a nap that day he will probably bounce right back - tick close to home the next day to get him well rested and he will be fine i imagine.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline jswerczek

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 21:21:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice Debra. It is quite far and we will be traveling the day before so unfortunately we can't squeeze a nap out in the car. I will just be flexible and like you said, keep it low key. I know everyone will want to hold him, but maybe they can hold off until he has a proper nap! I know that there is nothing I can do but try to get through it, it is just nice to have someone tell me it will be okay :) We have been pretty die hard EASY since day one and my only complaint is that when things come up, I get a little paniced and am not sure how to deal. But my little one always surprises me and I have to learn that it is okay to go off of routine once in awhile!

Jennifer

Mom to Jake born 6-16-05 and Julia born 8-29-07

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 22:13:10 pm »
good luck jennifer and just keep that attitude.  there will always be weddings, funerals, christmas gatherings etc and that is the beauty of EASY - because you have been consistent with him from early on, he can easily get back on routine especially if the variation is not long llived or too extreme (like making a 3 nap a day kid go to 1 nap for a week etc). we went away for 6 nights with Liv in January and she had never even slept in a travel cot and not only did she do that but most of the nights she and big sis had to share a room and they both did great (up early etc chatting together but both slept through the night so i was happy - i had to trust they woudl be ok which i know is hard but it does work)  within a day of returning she was back to the routine she was on before we went (while away she had early wakings so did 2 naps instead of 1...) THIS IS WHERE THE HARD WORK PAYS OFF. and if it i a hard time do what you have to to get a nap - don't think "oh it is AP if i hold him to sleep or use a stroller or car ride" he knows what to do under NORMAL circumstances and that is the difference.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified