Author Topic: Where does your baby sleep?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline StephC

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Where does your baby sleep?
« on: March 03, 2006, 19:15:27 pm »
Hi, I just got back from the Doctors with LO and I was asking him about her sleep issues, which is her getting up every 3 hours in the night.  He asked me where she was sleeping and I told him that she was in her crib in her own room since she was 3 weeks old.  He then began to tell me how much a baby needs thier mommy and that she was in me for 9 months and then ripped out of me, and then 3 weeks later moved to a whole different room.  OK, so now I feel bad...real bad....
Jaidyn is 5 months now and still waking lots, I have tried letting her cry it out which like last night lasted for 2 hours, and I have tried giving her a bottle, which puts her right back to sleep BUT she still wakes up in another 3 hours...My Dr recommended moving her crib back into our room so that when she wakes she will know that we are near, hear us breathing etc. and hopefully that will reassure her and she can go back to sleep better.   I really want to do the right thing, and be there for my baby and now I feel like a uncompassionate mommy by letting her cry for so many nights...

Now that you have heard my story I am wondering where all of your babies sleep and if you did keep them in your room, did they sleep good, how long did you keep them in there for?

I am desparate for help!

Thanks,
Steph

Offline potlaura

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 168
  • mum of three fabulous boys from n.ireland
Re: Where does your baby sleep?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 20:31:15 pm »
 hi steph
  my lo has slept in his own room from about 10 weeks old it does not seem to have dome him any harm. Granted he is not a great night sleeper but he does not lave any problems going to sleep in room and has all his naps in his cot he also plays in his room once every day.
I dont think that you have been doing the wrong thing for lo you were chosing what you thought was right for her it sounds like you are a great mom and have genuiene concerns for lo.
I dont really have any advice as to should you move her in your room but  have you tried pu/pd ? it might help with the night wakings.
hopefully some other mums will give you some advice but dont beat yourself up about it you are doing a great job  :)
Jack 31.12.98
Tom 06.09.06
Euan 28.12.2011

Offline StephC

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 21:11:41 pm »
Thank you so much! I think thats what I needed to hear.  I have been thinking about this all afternoon and I decided that Dr. was out to lunch on that too, I am not going to move her into our room again.  She seems to love her room, she goes to sleep amazing on her own at night, and she has no problem napping in her room (although sometimes she has to cry to get there), she doesn't seem to mind it!  I think I am just going to give her what she needs, and that means having a bottle at 2am, well so be it! I am sure it will be in her best interest and hopefully she will grow out of it at some point. 

Thanks again,
Steph

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 21:59:51 pm »
Steph I think someone needs to knock some sence into your doctor. Your LO's sleep problems are NOT due to her sleeping in her own room, in fact in the long run that will help. My LO moved to her own room at 6 weeks.
How old is your LO?? Is she bottle or breastfed?? Maybe we can help you get your LO sleeping more at night?
Kimberly

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 23:02:24 pm »
I'm with Karita, your doctor needs to get a clue. What a mean and insensitive thing to say. 5 months is plenty old enough to do fine in her own room. My lo actually started sleeping better once we moved him into his own room at about 7 or 8 weeks.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 00:52:46 am »
hi all!

Steph, i don't think you did anything wrong in putting your DD in her room, ˇˇHEY, that's her private space!!! Don't we all need one??!!! i changed my DS to his room at 15 weeks, and he sleeps really good (not now 'cause he's got a flu :'(, but, on any given day he does ;)). But i remmember when i changed him, all my family said i was to "strict" and that the poor dear would be "all alone in his room", and it really got me angry, 'cause aren't we trying to make our children independant?! aren't we trying to reinforce good values, like to be abble to solve problems on their own (i mean i know he is 4MO but you have to start as you mean to go on, just like Tracy said), and if you are there for her, believe she know that!!!! sorry if i'm being too preachy, but it is a really hot spot there on my way of thinking...

Offline StephC

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 03:31:31 am »
I really appreciate all of your opinions. 

The Dr that told me all of this was actually a chiropractor that I took her to see, a few people told me to go and see this guy and for the first couple of visits he was great, needless to say I will not be returning.

I really hope that someone can help, or lead us in the right direction.

Jaidyn is bottle fed.  Has been since the beginning since she never would latch on.  I moved her from our room to her own room when she was around 1 month old and like I said before I think she likes it in there. It is her own personal space, somewhere she feel safe and be alone and she goes to bed SO GOOD...easy easy at bed time so I know that she is capable of falling asleep on her own, it is just the night waking every 3 hours that I would like to help her with.

Thanks for all your stories and opinions, feels good to know that I am not alone!

Steph
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 03:57:25 am by StephC »

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 04:06:32 am »
Well why don't you send a copy of your daily routine, amounts she eats, naptime routines and how long, bedtime routine, and weather you dream feed.
That info may help us help you :)
Kimberly

Offline StephC

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 19:40:51 pm »
WOW-last night was terrible again.  She slept from 7:30-12:30 and then was up at 2:15, 4:15, 6:30 and then at 9am for the day!
Ahhh...I don't know what to do?

I am just wondering what kind of formula you guys are using?  I had jaidyn on Similac but heard the other day to try something different in case that is what is keeping her up at night??

Any thougths, I will post my schedule in a little bit...

Thanks
Steph
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 19:43:11 pm by StephC »

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 22:37:39 pm »
Hi Steph - maybe there's something in the air, we had a bad night last night too!

We use Emfamil Gentlease. DS was exteremly gassy and this was the only thing that helped. It's still iron fortified and all but is partially broken down so it's easier to digest.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 00:20:49 am »
Just throwing this out there, but maybe a soy version of your formula would help.  We use Similac Soy formula.  BTW, my dd has been sleeping in her crib since she was 5 weeks old.  Don't feel bad. You are doing the right thing.

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 00:41:04 am »
We use  Enfamil lactose-, 'cacuse Paul was really gassy with the regular one, and it works really good for him!

Offline StephC

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 03:50:02 am »
Thanks so much, everyone on this forum is so great!

I got some enflac concentrate today, she has had it since the morning so I will try it for a few days and see how it goes, and if still no improvement I may try something else again.

Do you think that switching to a formula that is not iron fortified may help?  I am not sure how iron affects sleep?

Steph

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 05:15:11 am »
I wouldn't change to the non iron fortified without talking to your doctor first, your LO need that iron and it may be a bad idea to switch, be carefull switching formula is can make things worse, make sure you mix the formula's fisrt so its less of a shock, also I don't think the Iron has anything to do with sleep.
Kimberly

Offline Leah67

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 06:45:12 am »
My 2nd child, we had him in his own room by 2 days old.  This sounds horrible, I'm sure, but after a few children, you get a little tougher.  Not to mention, I'm not sure if some of you other mommies have this, but I have SUPER hearing since having children, so I actually, hear them BEFORE they start crying, if you can believe if.  What I'm saying is, that them being in MY room, or even close, (I Have a 1.5 year old and a 2 month old), I hear them breathe, moan, etc., and suddenly, I'm up, and and that means, with them, I'can be up ALL night.

So, my new baby has to deal with a little more withdrawel from mommy than the other, but, you know kids have always dealt with stuff.