Author Topic: 2 year old refusing to nap  (Read 1007 times)

Offline abwalk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
2 year old refusing to nap
« on: March 03, 2006, 20:11:45 pm »
DS just turned two.   He is usually an excellent napper.    He is a textbook child and is very predictable.  He has recently started refusing to nap - even though he is clearly tired.  Things go well until he has been in bed for a few minutes.  Then he gets up and asks for a bottle, or a book, or a potty (which is funny because he doesn't want to use the potty yet) or a different pillow.  If I get him any of these things, he just thinks up another thing.  I have tried putting him down for a nap later in the day and that doesn't work either.  I have tried napping with him - but then he is just silly. He doesn't appear to be scared - just determined to stay awake.  Any tips?  It's making me crazy.  I have lost my "free time" and can't get anything done.  I have resorted to leaving him in his room with a baby gate up for the length of the time he ususally naps.  He is currently standing at the gate asking for "books" or "bottle" or whatever else he can think of.

Here is the sleep schedule...

6:30-7:00 a.m. awake
1:00 nap (have tried 2:00 also)
2:30 wake up
7:30 bedtime

However, while he has been refusing to nap, he has been falling asleep before 7:00.

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: 2 year old refusing to nap
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 22:02:01 pm »
I think you are doing exactly what you should be doing - and don't give in to his stalling! Keep to your routine exactly, even more than normal, so your child knows what to expect. Take care of all needs in advance (sip of water, potty, etc.), then let him know it's night night time (or whatever your words are), put the baby gate up and leave. Don't give in to any requests. Set an amount of time that works for you, such as 1 hr or 1.5 hrs, to leave him there. Just assume he's getting some kind of rest even if he's not sleeping. He's learning about quiet time!

In my opinion, you can't MAKE them sleep at this point, so having set routines and rules helps iron out these acts of indpendence. Don't stress too much about the sleep, and work more on the routines and schedules. If he misses the nap, move bedtime up by as much as an hour.

I hope this helps. I spent way too much time "making" my ow 4-yo nap when he was 2/2.5, and I finally just had to give up, as I then was having nighttime battles too. I wish I had just put a gate up and let him do his thing. I finally dropped the nap before he was 3, and honestly, now he sometimes naps happily on his own and he's almost 4.5! I'm just much more relaxed about it, and on days when I think he might need it I give him a quiet time for a set amount of time and it's so much better because it's not a battle of wills - so he has no game to play!
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001