Author Topic: Holding his own...  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Nate'sMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Holding his own...
« on: March 04, 2006, 05:35:15 am »
I need some help.  Gotta teach the LO to hold his own bottle or drink from a sippy.  I have been trying for quite some time now, not too hard, but trying to get him to hold his own bottle and he will have NOTHING to do with it.  He actually will pull his hands away from it.  He would rather scream bloody murder than hold the bottle.  I keep thinking, if he is hungry, he'll just take it, but nope!  As for the sippy, introduced that about a month ago and he refuses to drink from it, or hold it.
I suppose this wouldn't be such a big deal EXCEPT that in about 3 weeks I am going on a road trip ALONE with the 2 boys.  The car ride will be over 10+ hours, so am thinking, gee, if Ian can kind of sort of help himself in the car that would be great. 

Any suggestions of how to teach something that he doesn't want to be taught???
Kelli ~ Nate AND Ian's mommy

Offline Lªuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Holding his own...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 09:02:18 am »
Kelli
I am really not sure, how it is taught   ??? My DS has started to hold his bottle while I am feeding him only recently. I think it started when he learnt to hold his toys and transfer from one to the other I gave him a sippy cup to play with (with some formula in it). So I don't know if I accidentally taught him  ???

I am sure someone must be going through the same thing on the boards.
Sorry I couldn't help anymore.
Lauren
Lauren x

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 14:53:39 pm »
Hey Kelli......unfortunately I don't think it can be taught either.  John did it quite early....Zoe would never really do it until the bottle was completely gone???  ???

Not positive but I thought I saw a contraption for sale that held the bottle for them while they are in the carseat??  May want to check that out..if I have time I'll look too.  :)
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 15:18:33 pm »
yeah I seen those too, they sell them on ebay. I'm not sure where else to find them.
My LO also figured out how to hold her own bottle and sometimes wont eat if we hold it for her, I don't really know how you would teach that. Sorry, but I'm sure he'll figure it out.
Kimberly

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 19:09:08 pm »
I am having the same problem.  DS is nearly 8 montsh old and refuses to hold his bottle.  He will hold his sippy cup and drink some juice from it - but most of the time gets so excited and starts shaking it and spilling it all over the place.

There have been times when I am feeding him that he will put his hands to the bottle, and if I let go, it just falls, and other times when he is holding it that he gets so excited and just pulls it out of his mouth.

Sometimes I feel like I am going to be holding his bottle until he is 1.

Paula - Mum to Thomas 12 July 2005
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Nate'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 19:19:56 pm »
Well, thanks anyway.  As with everything else, nothing is ever certain when it comes to babies. (DS1 held his bottle by 5-6 months and weaned from it like a dream.)  I'll keep trying and if I get desperate, find the contraption you are talking about on ebay!

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 01:48:07 am »
I didn't get it either why I couldn't get Zoe to hold her bottle... ???  But if it helps at all, it was still really easy to wean them..just didn't want to hold them!! ;)

Here's a link to some of the bottle holders I had mentioned...the one I had originally seen was the first one...

http://www.pacifeeder.com/

http://www.greatbabyproducts.com/Baby_Bottle_Holder_p/prod-mm220.htm
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Nate'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 03:01:07 am »
Very cool!  Kind of makes you want to invent something and strike it rich, doesn't it?  Too bad he thought binky's were terrible, but the other site has some cool stuff. 

I looked back, I have pictures of Nate holding his own bottle at 3 months!!!  Ian is so different.  When he eats a bottle, both arms are either out spread eagle, or his right is out and his left is bent to cover his eyes/forehead (think, Gone with the Wind, Whew, etc.) so very cute - and impossible.   ::)

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 03:21:07 am »
just wanted to tell you that we had tried to encourage Liv to hold her bottle around 9 mo or so but not interested (if touched it and we letgo she let go) but then at 11 mo we went on a big road trip and at one point she got hungry and it was not a good time for a stop so i was holding her bottle to her in car seat while Dh drove. i was saying to him "gosh i wish she woudl just hold it herself" and she reached and touched it and i got her to put both hands and theni letgo and she raised it and did a great job and we were good to go ever since - sometimes she still wants us to hold it but we can now sit her down in her bouncer chair and she will drink it or even just sitting on the floor with us... my guess is she would have done it earler but since she woudl not do it at 9 mo we forgot to keep trying - he might surprise you on the trip, otherwise i woudl just time your stops to coincide with feeds (we found stopping every 2hrs for an hour was optimal for the kids to keep them happy and sane and that meant we woudl stop for bkfst and then for lunch and then in late afternoon...)
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified