Author Topic: 2-yr will not let me leave....will not sleep  (Read 1312 times)

Offline EmmasMomma

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
2-yr will not let me leave....will not sleep
« on: March 04, 2006, 07:58:24 am »
  My daughter, Emma, is 2 and takes sometimes 1-2 hours to fall asleep. I leave her room every nap & night time feeling so incredibly anxious and frustrated.  I bought Tracy's latest book when she was 16 months old, but I felt like I never fully followed "instructions" properly.  I tried the pu/pd and it fixed the prob of rocking to sleep...except I was never able to take my hand off her back.  She prefers to lay in her crib instead of me rocking her...but only because she can play in there and when I make her rock she falls asleep very fast.
  Now, after I put her in her crib, she becomes histerical if I don't sit in the chair right beside her till she falls asleep.  She even gets so upset when I try standing there and repeats "sit momma, sit."   I wouldn't mind sitting there, but she refused to be quiet or still.  She wants me to sing to her, she asks tons of questions, tries to start conversations, she flip flops in the bed constantly...  I get SO frustrated and I usually "threaten" to rock her if she won't be still/quiet.  That doesn't work.  I've also tried praising her quietly for being so quiet/still.  That doesn't work.  I've tried physically holding her still in her crib until she falls asleep, but I feel like that's just morally wrong.  She sometimes wants to hold my hand/arm and when I try to take it away she says "I just lovin you little bit." 
  Emma & I are very close b/c her Daddy was in Iraq for her first 14 months and we had nothing else to do but bond with eachother.  She's adjusted amazingly well to her Daddy; and even become quite attached.  She won't let Daddy put her to sleep, but that's not really a prob since he works the swing shift (3-11pm) and isn't present for bedtime.  My main prob is that I absolutely cannot stand for her to cry.  I can't bear the thought of her little feelings getting hurt or her feeling that Momma is being mean by leaving her at bedtime.  This is why I still sit by her bed.  However, I end up feeling mean because I have to keep telling her so sternly to be quiet, etc.  Here lately she refuses to go to sleep until I tell her that "everything's ok."  I'm afraid that if I try walk in, walk out (which I don't fully understand yet) that it will only upset her more and damage our relationship. (I know, my dh says that won't happen, but I'm putting all my apprehensions out here.)  I honestly feel that Emma is beyond her years in terms of being in touch with her emotions...I've never met a more empathetic and caring child.  She can't even stand to hear another child crying in the grocery store.  She wants to go take care of it and I have to keep assuring her by saying "that baby's Momma/Daddy will take care of him, he's ok."
  What do I do?  And what do I do with these feelings that I should be with her every minute, cherishing what I can because our time together is precious and fleeting?  I hear so often that "they're only little once; you'll never get these years back."  I'm asking for advice, reassurance...whatever you have to offer.
Thank you.

Offline vibha

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: 2-yr will not let me leave....will not sleep
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 14:12:12 pm »
hi ,
       listen dont be hard on urself for having these emotions like the ones u have ...you are absolutley normal  and a good mother.
i think ur doing everything right for ur little girl...what u could also try is read her a story before bed time and say well, mummys gonna read u a story and after that u can go to sleep...mummys going to be here fo you if u need her...reassure her that u will come back if she needs u...
walk in walk out is of course leaving the room before she sleeps fully...i am sure she will cry but go out and stand outside the door ,count till 10 and go back in ,say its all right mummys right here,tuck her in...go out again...
repeat but only the gap gets bigger and bigger..10 secs,20 secs,30 secs...but everytime u go in and reassure here..it might take a long time before it finally sinks in her that mummys going to always come back and hasnt abandoned her...but u need to be calm and focussed and consistant...i am sure u are and will get there in the end.try it at the weekends when ur hubby can help u the next morning to get a lie in if u need to carry on with it for a good part of the first night.
we did it with our 9 month old son and it worked fine by the third night...but now i am having some different kind of problem :-[
so hang in there and she will be sleeping independently soon.
good luck.HTH
vibha

Offline ryan's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 15:27:46 pm »
i have no advice for you , but just to let you know  i am in a similar situation as you , i posted something very similar the other day , asking for advice on how to leave the room. although i haven't managed to leave the room yet , things have improved and he is asleep in 30 mins.
   i would work on not having any communication with her after story and goodnight , this is what i did with Ryan and now , i lay there with him , but he doesn't talk to me or ask for anything as he knows it's sleep time , as long as i'm in the room he's happy and still trusts me.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline rach

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 322
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 00:29:37 am »
I find with my dd, that a routine of bath, cuddle, story and milk helps her to wind down.  Do you have a bedtime routine for your little one?

What I would suggest is just the put-down part of pu/pd, obviously at the age she is at now she is too heavy for you to be picking up, nor do you need to.  Your presence is enough to comfort her.  Try to avoid getting into conversations with her and avoid eye contact if you possibly can as these may stimulate her.  If she needs reassurance, then a simple 'its bedtime sweetie' should be enough and you lay her back down in her bed/cot.

Take a chair into her room and sit there until she drops off to sleep, then a couple of nights later, move the chair so that you are closer to the door, continue to move the chair every 2/3 nights until you are sitting outside of the room, but in sight and then finally sit out of sight.  You are still close enough to reassure her if she needs you to.

I hope that this can help you, please let us know how you get along.

Rachel xx
Rach xx

Offline EmmasMomma

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 05:53:56 am »
Thanks for all the advice.  Our bedtime routine is this:
1. Go Potty & get night time diaper
2. Read 2-3 books in rocking chair while soft lullaby orchestral music is playing (soothed her since birth)
3. Good night prayers and hugs/kisses
4. Lay in crib & act like a monkey for 1-2 hours:)  (I actually do only the pd pard of pu/pd)

The last couple of nights have been a bit better.  I tell her that Mommy's not talking any more, but she does seem to get really disturbed if I don't tell her everything's OK when she asks...every time
I think she is ready for a toddler or bigger bed....

Thanks again, Misty