Author Topic: pureed to lumpy, how do I ease into it? I'm terrified of her choking  (Read 2117 times)

Offline shells

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
My lo is just about 7.5months and has been eating baby food out of jars for some time. I know I need to transition her to eating more textured food but I'm not sure how lumpy her food should be. I've been reading some of these posts that say that they are already giving finger foods. Should I already be giving her finger foods? I am so terrified that if her food is to lumpy she will choke. Any suggestions on how to make the transition.

Offline Nicola_G

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Re: pureed to lumpy, how do I ease into it? I'm terrified of her choking
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 10:53:49 am »
Shells,

It is unlikely your lo will choke as all feeding should be under your close supervision. If she gets a piece which is too lumpy, she may cough a little, but that is a perfectly normal reaction for all of us when something "goes down the wrong way". at worst, you may need to help her with a little pat on the back.

My lo is 7 months and happily on lumps (in fact tonight I was at my in-laws and just shredded a little chicken and mixed with whole cooked beans and some fork-mashed roast potatoes and pumpkin). My lo started solids at 4 months and I just made sure that he was used to getting lumps from the start, usually just left a couple of lumpy bits in his mashed banana, tried whole oat porridge (lumpier than oatmeal) etc. They will get used to it, same as they get used to taking pureed solids and organising the tongue thrusting thing. Oh, and don't worry about no teeth - they have enough gum to effectively mush the food in their mouths.

Re finger foods, you want to start with things which won't crumb or break. For example, a torn-off piece of bread, a stick of cheese, a cooked carrot baton. Avoid toast and uncooked carrots, etc which can break into small bits and risk choking. But anything which is already soggy or can be made soggy with their sucking is great as a finger food. I will soon be introducing small crust-free sandwhiches and pieces of soft fruit as finger foods.
Nicola
Mum to Tyson Luke, born August 1, 2005
In the Australian bush

Offline maggieruth

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 23:04:24 pm »
if you want to take things easier when you are starting lumps, my friend had a great idea, add couscous or bulgar wheat to purred veg!  they are tiny lumps which aren't as big round as baby's throat so you don't have to worry so much... when you feel happier that your baby can manage that, move onto stuff like Nicola suggested!
 :)

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 12:55:14 pm »
Hi Shells,

My lo is around the same age as yours.

He has started finger foods which he handles very well.  He feeds himself cherios, biscuits and bananna - although that is very messy, and can handle eating bits of toast etc and chews on them like a star, however when we have offered him lumpier foods (jars from 7 months) he does not seem to like them - he sticks his tongue out and gags although he is not choking.  It seems to take forever to feed him, and a lot of the time he spits it out at me. 

I can't undersand why he is doing that as he really does love to chew.  I have decided to slowly start introducing it into his purees, by adding half puree and half the lumpier and see how it goes.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 15:27:13 pm »
Shells, I'm with you on this one.  My lo has actually choked on food.... and yes, it took a couple pats on the back.  I am also terrified adn I wish I could hire someone to feed him.  It is the scariest part of my day.  I do step outside my shell and give him the melting rice rusks... to which he has also choked on.  I think he'll be drinking his meals when he starts school.

Everytime I try lumpy, he gags, and I know that's normal, but my heart stops for a good 10 seconds each time. 

Oh please someone come to my house and help me out!!!!!

So what is the best way to start out?  I mean, shoudl I just chop up carrots into tiny cubes and cook them that way and then serve them?  I'm really looking for some good tips... But I really think one of you mamas that can do it should stop by!  I will even cook for you too!
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline shells

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 01:23:15 am »
Well tonight we tried some really lumpy squash and she did gag a few times but she really had no problem with them. I guess I just needed to get over the fear. I'm going to try some kidney beans tomorrow and see how that goes. I don't know why I'm so worried about choking both my husband and I are paramedics. I guess it's a little different when It's your own.

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 13:05:48 pm »
Well Shells,

You and your husband are more than welcome to come over....   I guess I feel a little better if a paramedic can be paranoid!

lol

Offline KB

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 03:00:37 am »
I can so relate to this, I am petrified of lumps.  I have progressed to some bits of rice, pasta, cous cous etc in her food and just try not to completely puree everything now.  If it makes you feel any better you are way ahead of me.  My lo is 11 months old and still won't eat finger food.  In fact, going to post on that!

Offline Hsmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 06:17:22 am »
KB, I'm with you on that - my 11 month old won't do lumps yet or finger food! He shows no inclination to feed himself and the slightest lump is delicately pushed out with his tongue! He's only just got his first teeth though and my friends have suggested that this could be the reason...

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 15:14:11 pm »
Just an update.  I braved banana yesterday.  Usually the texture makes him gag pretty bad, but we were successful.  It takes so much bravery to do this, eh?  And dp wasn't even home!

I think we need a support group for us mamas.  I think this is a great thread that we should keep up.