Author Topic: 3-4hour E.A.S.Y??  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Mrsv4

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 04, 2006, 23:53:24 pm »
Just need a bit of guidance:  DD is 3 1/2 months old.  When she was born I implemented EASY routine soon as we got home from the hospital.  We were on the 3 hour EASY pretty much like clock work.  When she turned 7 weeks old she started sleeping through the night (10pm -7am), and around the same time the 40 minutes naps started.  Anyhow, about 3 weeks ago, DD started waking up erratically during the night, sometimes to eat, sometimes not.  The last few nights she's eaten at around 5am.  During the day she's eating about every 3 hours (fusses to eat at the 3 hour mark) but only eats for a few minutes and squirms and loses interest.  I pumped last night before her feeding to see how much she's actually getting and I could only pump 3.5ounces.  A month and a half ago (the last time I pumped) I pumped 4 oz, she ate all of it, then I had to BF her for another 10minutes.  So at that time she was getting at least 5-6oz at each feed.  In addition, DD usually can only stay awake for 1 1/2 hours at most, then is ready for a nap, she usually only naps for 40min (and will not go back to sleep -a whole other issue) then is up for another 1 1/2 hours, then the same pattern continues over and over again.  So our day starts off like EASAE, but as the day goes on her S time runs into her E time and she ends up falling asleep while nursing  :-[.  So in total she has 5-6 40minutes naps thoughout the day.  I'm getting very tired (especially with her waking at night again), not really able to get anything done or get out of the house at all.  We stick in the house all the time because I don't want her to get overtired, but at the same time by the time Friday comes she's pretty fussy in part because she's been in the same environment for so long.  Anyhow, any help would be appreciated at this point ???

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: 3-4hour E.A.S.Y??
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 09:45:34 am »
Mrsv4
Sound like it may be a growth spurt (eats ans sleeps more and wakes at night), to be honest not much experience with getting your supply up to compensate for this and I will see about getting you moved to the breastfeeding forum.

To answer about EASA E.... - DS has always done this.

Hope this is OK.
Lauren x

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 10:16:41 am »
Could you post your routine for us please.  I agree with Lauren, she is probably going through a growth spurt.

During one of  her awake times, after BF, go out with her for a walk, even if it is just 15-20mins.  The change of scenery will both do you and DD good, and the fresh air, will make all the difference.

I make sure I go out every day for at least 30mins, my DD loves the fresh air, and change of scenery.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Mrsv4

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 14:27:52 pm »
Our routine goes something like this:

E 8am
A 8:20-9:20am
S 9:30-10:15am
A 10:20-11am
E 11
A 11:20-12:20
S 12:30-1:15
A 1:15-2pm
E 2pm
A 2:15-2:35
S 2:45-3:30
A 3:30-5
E 5 (this is where she E time runs into S time)
A 6pm
S 7:30pm (and doesn't usually want to eat)
E 10pm dreamfeed
During the night she usually wakes at 2:30 but can be schhed back to sleep, then will eat sometime between 4-5am)

I wish we could get outside more, but unfortunately it's been very cold lately (-26 degrees celcius with the windchill), and DH has our vehicle at work all day so we're trapped.
I'm not positive this is a growth spurt, it's been going on for at least a month  ???

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 21:59:50 pm »
Mrsv:  I would suggest that the biggest problem are the naps, and I think you would agree.  I think that issue should be tackled, because without good naps, you won't have good night sleep.  Have you tried pu/pd or sh/pat?  Either way, in order to keep her happy, she needs to learn to nap longer.

Please don't consider what you pumped, exactly what your lo is getting.  If you haven't pumped in a month, it's possible your breasts have forgotten what a pump is....  so it's very hard to tell what you are producing.  I can only ever pump 2oz and my lo is 7.5 months old. 

I think your lo is overtired from not napping and hten uses her nursing time to settel and sleep, so she's likely not getting the amt of milk she needs to keep going and it becomes a vicious circle.. (and one I think all mamas can relate to)

I understand about not getting outside in the cold.  The other way to extend A time I found was to have someone else entertain her. But that wans't much of an option for me, but it may work for you.

Let me know if there is any other way we can help.

I hope this info is some help.

{{{hugs}}}
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline Mrsv4

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 22:19:37 pm »
We've tried the shh/pat in the past and it was a disaster.  We did it for a week and a half for every nap and at bedtime.  DD was miserable, I was miserable.  She hardly slept for the whole time we were doing it.  Finally I just stopped because we seen no improvement, and she was sooooo tired.  i just have no idea what to do, nothing seems to work.   :'(

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 22:29:55 pm »
I am sorry you are having such a hard time. 

Have you tried pu/pd?  I know my lo doesn't like and really cries at the beginning, but it works.  Last night dp counted 7 pu/pds and then my son fell fast asleep.  But it has taken a long time to get to that stage.

I will provide a link to a lady who was having troubles, different than yours, but it illustrates how pu/pd can work.  I think the first night she did it over 100 times and then the next time she was down to 70 some and it kept getting better.

Would you be willing to try it?  I truly think that the night waking would be related to the short naps and the short feeds. Or, is it possible that your lo is hungry when she awakes from her nap?  I think you mentioned that she usually starts fussing for food around the 3 hour mark though, so that's likely not it. 

Some los don't take well to sh/pat because they find it too stimulating.  It only worked for my lo until about 4 months and then we had to switch it to pu/pd. 

Please let me know what you think.

Hang in there.  It is frustrating, but you can find something that works, I'm sure of it. 

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 22:30:24 pm »