Author Topic: feel like giving up...please advise  (Read 1052 times)

Offline elliotlove

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 06, 2006, 14:27:41 pm »
My son is 3mo old and 2 weeks. We have been trying 3 hour EASY for a week now. His typical full feeding (after 3 hours) is 3 oz sometimes 4. He is sleeping 7 hour stretches (but the one day that he napped "Correctly" he did 9 hours)

He goes down easily for naps....hardly ever fusses. However, he is waking after 50 - 60 minutes....I try the shh pat but he's just awake.
I get him up and wait for the 3 hour mark to feed him..then..I put him to bed an hour and half after he had gotten up (even though he got up at the incorrect time). I keep hoping that things will fall into place....but they arent.

Am I doing all I can at this point?
Should I try to keep him awake longer....like an hour and a half after his feeding (instead of when he first woke)?
 IF I take him out in public he is cranky so I know he needs more sleep. I feel like a prisioner in my own home and it gets depressing. :-[

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: feel like giving up...please advise
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 14:38:52 pm »
Ok, take a deep breath.  It is hard to figure them out sometimes.  As for awake times, it is trial and error to find just the right time.  Usually the first A time of the morning is the shortest, but if you don't feel he is sleeping long enough, you could try to extend just a little bit at a time.  Now, after for the next EAS cycle, since he did wake early and had more A time before feeding, you will need to watch for his sleepy cues and go by how long he's been awake in total.  Trying to keep him awake until the next usuall nap time will probably result in overtiredness.  My dd was a 30 min. napper for the first 6 months.  So we had a very crazy EASY pattern.  The thing is to let him sleep when he needs to, just don't feed him to sleep.  He'll probably be exhausted by the end of the day if his naps are short (but really 1 hr can be considered a good nap IMHO), so keep A time very low key to help him through until bedtime.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline elliotlove

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 14:58:29 pm »
thank you so much. I was crying as I read your post
I am very hung up on the 1.5 hour naps....maybe i need to let that go a little and focus more on him?

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: feel like giving up...please advise
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 15:35:53 pm »
Oh, dear, I feel for you.  I was a wreck with my dd for a long time, too.  But if you can focus on the wonderful things life will be much easier.  I know it's easier said than done, but you'll get through this.  You're doing great!!!!
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007