Author Topic: Yoghurt  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Mia and Lily's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Princess Mia & Tornado Lily
Yoghurt
« on: March 06, 2006, 17:37:34 pm »
You would think I would remember this since dd#1 is only 3 years old, but I cannot remember when it is OK to start babies on Yoghurt (like Yobaby).  We are still trying to find something for dd#2 that will help with her constipation, so I thought since carrots, bananas, sweetpotato and applesauce are out, maybe Yoghurt would be a nice thing to give her.  She is almost  8 month old.
Any other suggestions of foods that are filling but not cause constipation?
Thanks
Chris

Offline jessica5

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Yoghurt
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 19:36:01 pm »
I've always heard that 10 to 12 months is when one starts yogurt.  I started feeding it to my oldest when she was 10 months old and she did fine with it.  I think it's safe to start a little younger if you have no history of food allergies.

Also, I found this Baby Center link that tells when to start which solids with little ones:
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/babyfeeding/1400680.html
Jessica
mom to an Angel/Textbook Toddler & Spirited Baby

Offline jessica5

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 19:42:16 pm »
Oops!  I forgot to respond to your constipation question.  With my oldest, I had to feed her prunes (some babyfood manufacturers make it) on days that she ate bananas or she would get constipated.  The prunes always worked for us - just make sure you don't give her too much.

Yogurt, since it's a milk product, could be slightly constipating, but I'm not sure.
Jessica
mom to an Angel/Textbook Toddler & Spirited Baby

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 20:15:31 pm »
Thanks,  I guess we will wait with the Yoghurt a little bit.
She actually gets prunes almost daily and it doesn't help at all  ::),  currently we are trying Oatmeal with prune juice (we had cut out all cereals and that didn't help plus we got told by the pediatrician that she needs her cereals).  Prunes always worked with dd#1 but not with this one. 

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 20:54:04 pm »
I believe it was white rice, where do you get the brown rice cereal, the only other one I have seen is Barley and I was told that that was constipating as well.

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 21:42:16 pm »
I always thought that you were supposed to use the baby cereal because of the added iron and zinc which you would not get in just regular cereal?  Also, is regular cereal going to be fine enough for them no to choke on it?  I will go by the healthfood store tonight (there is one right around the corner from us) and check it out.  Thanks for the info

Offline mum of 2

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • South Wales, UK
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 11:02:44 am »
Hi there,

I allways thought that yoghurt could bind babies up rather than help with constipation too.  Have you tried pear, apple or apricots these are good to treat constipation. Bananas tend to bind babies up aswell.  Does your baby drink lots of water this can help make stools less solid and help prevent dehydration which can also lead to constiipation.

Good luck

xx Alison

mum of 2 (3 if you include my partner)

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 12:39:39 pm »
Hi there,

My lo has also been prone to constipation and has been battling for some time to go.

He was hospitalised for this so that they could try and help him with it.  The nurse suggested giving DS bananna - to which I replied that it would constipate him even more.  She said to me that Bananna is one of those miricle fruts where they can work either way.  She said that it will help if lo is constipated and will bind if his bowls are really open.

Anyway - DS has a bananna every day and he tends to open his bowls at least twice a day - we have not looked back since.

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 16:21:00 pm »
That is very interesting about bananas, I always thought and have been told by the pediatrician that they constipate, but it seems that the information you receive depends on the country you are in.  I am orginally from Germany but living in the US now and have found that at least in this area of the country, the pediatricians are much less in tune or interested in organic or herbal remedies vs immediately jumping on the traditional medicine.  Could be just my luck with pediatricians though (although I am on my third one  ???)
Anyway, thanks for the input, maybe I will give bananas a try

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 21:12:48 pm »
We have petit filous yoghurt in the UK which they can have from 4 months old, not sure if you have this in the states. With regards to constipation i have found that apricot added with apple works and spinach seems to go straight through my LO
Amelie Grace's mum