Author Topic: Can this be used with a 2 year old?  (Read 1014 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Can this be used with a 2 year old?
« on: March 06, 2006, 18:09:39 pm »
Hi all

I'm actually writing on behalf of my sister who has a two year old DS who goes to sleep independently but wakes frequently during the night.  Just lately my sis has been letting her DS come into her bed when he wakes (although she doesn't realise she's done it until the morning - she's just too tired!) and she realises she has to un-do this habit.  So now she goes in when her DS wakes up and tells him to go to sleep, lays him down if he's up and then leaves the room.  Last night he went quiet everytime she left the room and just as she dropped off to sleep he'd wake again - she was up loads and is at the end of her tether!  It's complicated now because he can talk well and says 'downstairs' or 'scared'!!

I've read that the version of PU/PD that you use with an older child is just PD but I'd really appreciate a detailed explanation of what to do (including when you leave the room) so I can help my sister regain her sanity and get a bit of sleep!

Thanks as always
Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Can this be used with a 2 year old?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 20:46:57 pm »
I am going to move this to the sleeping with toddlers section.  I think you might get more response there. ;D

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 21:32:17 pm »
PU/PD doesn't really work at this age.  The choices are really betweena gradual withdrawal and walk in/walk out.  There are some great posts on this board about them.