Author Topic: Baby sign language  (Read 2399 times)

Offline aussie_mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Baby sign language
« on: March 07, 2006, 04:40:22 am »
hi there,
my little cherub is almost 9months, i have read that baby sign languauge is a good time to start now? does any one know were i can get infomation about it? my lo is very active and needs to be entertained all the time. She is a spirited baby!! any more ideas on how to keep her occupied?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 06:05:24 am by Nikki~Nathan&Danielle »

Offline evanskimberley

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 118
  • Kent, GB
Re: Baby sign language
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 08:03:22 am »
The only info i have is Uk based companies, we have some firms that run classes in local areas. Do you have anything like that near you? I coldn't get to classes so I taught myself through buying books/DVD's and then used it with DD.
9 mo is a great age to start.
Kimberley

Offline potlaura

• Showing Appreciation 168
  • mum of three fabulous boys from n.ireland
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 09:48:19 am »
 hi
   in the lounge there was a post named baby signing. it is great has websites listed on it you can go and see the signs and they show you how to do them. I looked at it lastweek so have a look a couple of pages back . Am trying them too fingers crossed  :)
Jack 31.12.98
Tom 06.09.06
Euan 28.12.2011

Offline aussie_mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 10:12:27 am »
Thanks i will check the lounge out for some web sites! What else did you try and use to entertain you lo when they were about this age?

Offline evanskimberley

• Kent, GB
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 10:22:41 am »
We had the Fisher Price Incrediblock for Christmas when she was only 5 mo. But it was about 9 mo that she started really playing with it. It's got so much to do and all the little blocks acn provide hours of entertainment.
Kimberley

Offline FlossieŠ

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • mummy's little cherubs
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 10:33:33 am »
Hello! Don't you think the lessons are so expensive.  I kind of think that whatever sign can be used for whatever you want it to mean, as long as you are consistant with it and say/sing the word with it, you don't necessarily have to use the universal sign. Just use the signs as often as you can and then your baby will soon pick it up. My little girl is 10 months and she signs for milk all the time, which is very useful (& cute!)  we also started around 8 or 9 months too.  I must admit that this is the only sign she is using (apart from hello and goodbye waving), and I've kind of got out of the habit of using them, naughty me!  Have a look here for some ideas for signs. http://www.kindersigns.com/anim_dictionary.html. good luck!

Offline evanskimberley

• Kent, GB
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 10:38:18 am »
Yep, I agree, we had our own sign for water that DD made up on her own. Use what ever suits you and you can remember easily!
Kimberley

Offline aussie_mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 11:16:48 am »
Oppps just tried to reply and it ended up some wee else? i found the baby signing site in the lounge but one of them has changed its now
http://www.signwithme.com/default.asp
 :)
Thanks for the helpful suggestions!!!

Offline WorkingMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 21:27:22 pm »
While my lo is not yet old enough to start signing, we found a couple of (what we think are) great books.  The primary one is called "Baby Signs" written by Linda Acredolo, Susan Goodwyn and Douglas Abrams.  Linda and Susan also co-authored another book called "Baby Minds" that touches some on signing with your lo, but primarily focuses on games you can play from birth on to toddlerhood.  Anyway, both books talk about practical things you can do, as well as the research and theory behind the activities.  Hope that helps!

Offline olleezmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 01:17:14 am »
We use the Baby Signs book too!  We are also taking the Kindermusik class, Sign and Sing.  My DS is 7.5 months old, and although he only makes 2 signs, more and all done, he seems to understand when I use the signs.  Even if you can't go to a class, the book is great, and very easy to pick up and begin using right away!

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 15:44:45 pm »
i'm sure it's just coincidence, but for the past two days, my 6 mo old ds has visibly relaxed and giggled when i've made the sign for milk, and this when he's been waiting somewhat impatiently for his first feed of the day. i'm definitely going to continue (we always use signs for "up," "i love you," "milk," and "food") and will try to figure out some other ones. i think it's great!