Author Topic: need high calorie recepies please!!  (Read 3729 times)

Offline beccarman

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
  • happy families!!
need high calorie recepies please!!
« on: March 07, 2006, 18:04:52 pm »
have just realised that after 6 weeks of dd not putting on any weight its all my fault  :'( i don't think i've been giving her enough high calorie food, she does eat cheese and i use full fat milk in all cooking, she likes avacado, lentils, cous sous, etc but i feel so stupid for not giving her enough for her to put on any weight. she lost an oz and then put it back on but is still the same weight as she was in jan!! i suppose she been getting just enough calories as shes not lost lots of weight but i need exciting ways of giving her more!!
any idea would be greatly appreciated...i need something positive to do to stop feeling so guilty.

TIA
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 19:50:33 pm by beccarman »

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: need high calorie recepies please!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 18:30:01 pm »
Stoneyfield Farms Organic Full-Fat yogurt - yummy and SOOOOO creamy!!!

Try adding some flaxseed oil and/or olive oil to meals for more calories too, and adding flaxseed meal has some incidental oil. Natalie (almost 10 months) has had fish oil a couple times too, although not sure if that's an "officially" approved food for her age.  ;)

Might be time to try egg yolks if you're feeling brave; they have good fat in them. Ditto for first meats: if you cook chicken, make sure you're using dark meat as it has more fat than white.

Gotta run, Natalie down the hall into who knows what!  ::)

Offline deb

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 18:31:33 pm »
Wanted to add: Natalie hasn't put on more than a pound in the past month or two, but she's also all over the place burning calories. I can't see her ribs or anything, so I know she's eating just fine, but even though she's longer, she isn't really significantly heavier - from 18.5 to 19.5 pounds, give or take.

Offline beccarman

• happy families!!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 20:52:32 pm »
thanks deb!
anwens very mobile too and crawling all over the place, she hardly sits still at all! i'm sure this has got something to do with it. i'm just glad shes not really lost weigh, she just hasn't put any on. shes 19lb 7oz which is healthy for her age i suppose i just want to make sure she keeps putting weight on.
she has had chicken and fish, both of which she loves but no red meat yet. i tried her with scrambled eggs but she wasnt keen, maybe i could try that again. thanks for advice on oils and seeds as well. she can be quite a fussy eater so its all a bit of a guessing game as to what she'll eat a lot of the time so i need to make sure i don't put too much presure on myself to get her to eat lots, i don't want meals times to become a battle!
thanks again!

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 22:00:25 pm »
Try adding some powdered milk to the whole milk.  More protein and calories that way.  When she gets older, you can use it to make puddings.  Add a pack of instant breakfast mix to that and you get major calories.  Pretty tasty, but also gave me heartburn.    :P
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline deb

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 00:24:34 am »
Hey, did you know that guacamole tastes yummy in full-fat yogurt? Good fats from the avocados and protein and probiotics from the yogurt! :D

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 00:30:58 am »
Is Anwen bf? because it is very normal for bf babies NOT TO GAIN ANY weight for up to 3 months in the 6-12month range. Aiden actually lost 10oz from 6-9months old...ok he was a big 23lb bub at 6months BUT 2 Drs told me that was fine & Liam has actually only put on 2oz since Christmas (also 23lb at 6months). When they get mobile they burn off all fat. As long as she isn't acting hungry, I wouldn't worry too much.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline galaxie81

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 12:37:15 pm »
These are recipes off the Wholesome Baby Foods Website with the calories.  Hope they help  :)

COOKED LEAFY GREENS

(Makes 10 food cubes)

Many of the most nutritious veggies, especially the green leafy ones, are not available in commercial baby foods. It's easy to make your own.

1 pound fresh greens (kale, collards, etc.)
1 Tablespoon water
3 Tablespoons fruit juice
Wash leaves thoroughly. Steam most greens 5-15 minutes, leaving the lid off for the first few minutes. Puree in blender with the water and juice.

Total Calories Per Cube: 17

BASIC VEGETABLE RECIPE

(Makes 8 food cubes)

Do not add salt, sugar, or fat.

1 cup cooked fresh or frozen vegetables without salt (use potatoes, green beans, peas, carrots, yellow squash)
4-8 Tablespoons cooking liquid, formula, or water
Press vegetable chunks through a sieve or baby food mill, thinning with cooking liquid or formula to eating consistency. Or, puree vegetables and liquid in blender until smooth. Serve or freeze.

Note: After trying single foods, good combinations are potatoes and carrots or carrots and peas.

Total Calories Per Serving: varies

FRESH FRUIT

(Makes 4 food cubes)

Try different varieties of fruit in this recipe.

3/4 cup ripe fruit (uncooked peaches, nectarines, bananas, pears, apricots, apples)
1 teaspoon unsweetened fruit juice
1 teaspoon lemon-flavored water (1 teaspoon lemon juice to 1 cup water to prevent darkening)
Remove skin and seeds from fruit. Puree ingredients in baby food mill or blender until smooth. Serve or freeze.

SOYBEAN PUREE

(Makes 2-1/2 cups or 12 food cubes)

Serve this nutritious dish to your baby.

1 cup dry soybeans
3 cups water
3/4 cup unsalted tomato juice for thinning
Rinse and soak the soybeans overnight in the refrigerator. Simmer beans in 3 cups water for about 2 hours. Puree with any equipment, adding tomato juice to thin.

Total Calories Per Cube: 34

FRESH ORANGE SHERBET

(Makes 1-2 cups)

Babies will love this dish.

1 sweet orange, peeled, sectioned, and seeds removed
1 cup fruit juice
In a blender, liquefy the fruit. Add the juice and blend. Pour into loaf pan, cover, and freeze until fairly firm, about 1 hour. Pour back into blender, and blend at low speed until smooth. Return to pan and freeze until firm.

Total Calories Per 2 Tablespoons: 7

HOMEMADE FRUITY GEL

(Serves 4)

This recipe uses fruit juice instead of sugar to add sweetness. Agar, the thickener, is derived from seaweed. It is available in natural food stores and food co-ops or may be ordered from the Community Mercantile, 901 Mississippi, Lawrence, KS 66044. Phone 913-843-8544. An ounce of agar costs approximately $5.69 but it goes a long way.

1/2 cup cool water
1 Tablespoon agar flakes
1-1/2 cups fruit juice
1 cup pureed fruit
Place water in small saucepan. Sprinkle in agar and stir to dissolve. Add juice and heat for 1 minute, stirring well. Pour into 4 small cups. Place in refrigerator. After 1/2 hour, stir in pureed fruit.

KNACKBROD (SWEDISH HARD BREAD)

(Makes 20)

Unlike store-bought varieties, this homemade version of "hard tack" crumbles and melts in baby's mouth and is great for teething.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup rye graham flour
2 Tablespoons sugar or other sweetener
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
8 ounces commercial corn muffin mix
3 Tablespoons margarine
3/4 cup soy milk
Mix dry ingredients. Cut in margarine. Add soy milk. Mix well. Roll thin, cut into shapes and bake 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees until brown.

Total Calories Per Cracker: 116

CARROT/APPLE MIX

(Serves 2)

This is a delicious dish.

1/2 medium apple, cored and peeled 1/2 carrot, washed and peeled
2 Tablespoons fruit juice
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Puree all ingredients in blender. Or, grate apples and carrot and mix with juice before serving.

Total Calories Per Serving: 35

Offline beccarman

• happy families!!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 13:52:59 pm »
thanks guys!
anwen is bf, so that may be something to do with it, and nice to know i've not being doing things wrong! i've been adding cheese or cheese sause to most things and she loves avacado either as finger food or in other foods, shes not so keen on yoghurt but i'm perserving!
thanks again!