Author Topic: Trying to implement EASY with triplets  (Read 996 times)

Offline shannanlf

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 07, 2006, 21:13:27 pm »
I have 6 week old triplet boys, and I am trying to implement the EASY plan, but things are not always working out! Maybe I am trying to push them too soon? Any advice is appreciated.

The boys weigh 8 pounds, 7 pounds, and 6 pounds (approximately). They eat every 3 1/2 - 4 hours. They are eating 5 1/2, 5 and 4 ounces respectively, and the schedule seems to suit them. (In other words, they seem hungry every 3 1/2 -4 hours, and I generally do not have to wake them at that time.) My husband and I feed them at the same time, and it usually takes about an hour from diaper change to final burp. (And then my reflux baby spits for an hour, but that's another story!)

I've been trying to start the first "morning feed" at 7:30, so they eat again at 11, 2:30, 6:00, and 9:30. I get confused about what to do after that.

How do you implement a "bedtime"? Should I be "putting them down" after the 9:30 feed, and then hoping for teh best? When it's bedtime, do they still have "activity time"?  I've tried a dream feed at midnight, but it doesn't seem to keep them asleep any longer. Also, after the middle of the night feeding, my biggest boy seems completely awake, and I can't get him to go back to sleep. He will look around and be very alert, and 30 minutes later, he loses his mind!

If they do wake up in the middle of the night, do I still keep them on schedule the next morning, no matter how much time has passed? In other words, if they make it all the way until 5, do I still start their day at 7:30?

I need help! I have to get a schedule!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Trying to implement EASY with triplets
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 22:22:50 pm »
 :o   :o   :o   :o

I don't have any advice for you except to maybe ask on the multiples board as well. I just wanted to tell you how much I admire you for not only having triplets but committing to doing EASY with them!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: Trying to implement EASY with triplets
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 01:16:20 am »
Hi!  Congrats on your babies.  I don't have advice as for having multiples, so I'll have someone with experience take a look here, too.  However, as for the EASY routine, I'll try to help.  My suggestion (and it's only that b/c you'll find what works best for your family) would be to have a bedtime between 7-8 pm, and try a dreamfeed around 10.  How you'll accomplish that with 3, I don't know, but you seem to have a good feeding system in place already.  However, a dream feed at midnight might be disturbing there sleep, so I would try no later than 11, or let them wake on their own.
As for implementing the bedtime, it's really not much different from putting them down for naps.  If you have a feeding at 6, then maybe have just real light activity and bed around 7-7:30 after you've fed and changed them all.  I don't really know how to work around the last feeding at 9:30 unless you consider that the dreamfeed.  And just in case you were wondering, some babies won't take the dreamfeed while actually asleep.  I had to complete wake my dd, and she would just go back to sleep afterwards.
At 6 weeks old, you can probably expect nightwakings at least once for a little while longer.  If one or all of them are wanting to stay awake after a night feed, perhaps he has day and night confused.  Has this always been the case or something new?  Try to not let them sleep more than 2.5-3 hr stretches each nap during the day.  I realize you might think I'm crazy, but sometimes a baby that sleeps so much in the day can't sleep at night.  As for morning wake ups, I've heard to consider anything before 6 am a nightwaking, so if they wake to feed at 5, try to get them to go back to sleep and start your day at your usual time.  Otherwise, adjust your day to suit the earlier wake time.  But any feedings in the night should not be followed by activity.
HTH, and keep us posted.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007