Author Topic: What is Tracy's method for toddler sleep  (Read 1099 times)

Offline JamieRyansmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 08, 2006, 04:19:33 am »
Hi,
I am new to Tracy's site and was wondering what Tracy's method for getting an active 26mth old ds to sleep.  He used to be great. We'd just read a book, give him a bottle, say goodnight to everyone and lay him in his cot and presto!  Usually he'd chat to himself for a few mins first then off to sleep.  Now however he protests strongly from the moment we lay him in his cot.  He can be a very stubborn character and will protest for hours with nothing much pacifiying him.  If i stay in his room he will calm down but then try to play.  I ignore it but he will persist with this behaviour for hours!  I know there is someone else out there who has had similar experiences and I would love to hear your advice.  Thanks! :)

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: What is Tracy's method for toddler sleep
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 17:45:13 pm »
It sounds like he is testing you.  I'd stick with puttting him to bed as usual.  Even if he grumbles provided he is not getting out of bed or crying, just ignore him and he'll likely realize that his behaviour isn't getting him anywhere and stop.  The only other thing might be that he needs to shorten his nap.  Although this happened with my dd closer to age 3 we found that if she had hr usual 2.5 hour nap during the day she would resist bedtime and not fall asleep until really late.  when does he nap and for how long? 

Offline JamieRyansmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: What is Tracy's method for toddler sleep
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 11:52:15 am »
Thanks for your advice.  I agree i think he is testing us but its just so hard to remain detached and analyse the situation when you are feeling so frustrated.  DS is currently having between 1 and 2 hrs sleep about midday and unfortunately i have the same difficulty at this time as well with putting him to sleep.  Nothing seems to work, he only calms when i enter the room.  I am currently trying the sit on the floor and ignore method as at least he calms down when i am there and will lay down - which is a start!