Author Topic: How do you transition to one nap???  (Read 1196 times)

Offline dmills

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: March 08, 2006, 17:31:49 pm »
Okay, can someone please walk me through how to transition to one nap.  I am not starting quite yet, but feel it is on the horizon.  My ds wakes at 6:15Am, naps at 9AM, then naps again around 1:30, but doesn't fall asleep until a little after 2, but then sleeps until we wake him at 3:45.  Bedtime is 7:00.  He is almost 18months old and stays with my mom while I teach.  She is not anting to change this schedule yet and that is fine, but eventually the afternoon nap will be pushed back to late by him.  Would you leave it for now?  I thought I could start the switch this summer while I am off.  Not sure if he will make it until then, but other than Spring break...I don't have a large span of time.I have read to push it back by 15 minutes or so, but then what happens to the afternoon nap?  Confused!!
dmills

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
Re: How do you transition to one nap???
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 18:27:57 pm »
Hi There,
When dd transitioned she started taking longer to sleep in the afternoon, so I cut her morning nap short over a period of time, it was originally 50 mins and I cut 5 mins off every few days until it was down to 20mins and those were spent chatting to herself. I moved lunch and nap tine earlier. It may take a while to get used to it and the lunch nap may not be very long but should settle to 2 hour after a little while, meantime bed early for those evenings :-). I used to make sure to keep her distracted at her old am nap time and to have lunch ready to put in front of her as she could be quite cranky during the transition.
Fiona