Author Topic: 9.5 mth 4 Hour EASY? Naps always overlap?  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Mckenna&Barrett's Mom

• Cloth diapering, babywearing, selective vax, potty teaching, Christian Mama!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little cuties
    • The Princess Potty Diaries
9.5 mth 4 Hour EASY? Naps always overlap?
« on: March 08, 2006, 17:58:52 pm »
My 9.5 mth old dd was on a 4 hour EASY starting in January.  We extended her awake time because I was told it should be 3-3.5 hours for her age.  She seems to only be able to do 3 hours right now.  Because the times overlap, we've lost an entire feed.  We used to do 7:30, 11:30, 3:30, then cluster at 5:30 and 7:30.  Now it looks more like this:

E - 8 am wake and bf
A - shower with mom
E - 9 am solids
A - look for trouble
S - 11 am for 1.5 to 2 hours

E - 1 pm wake and bf, then lunch
A - find some more trouble
S - 4 pm for 1 to 1.5 hours

E - 5:30 wake, bf and dinner
A - play with daddy and doggy
E - 7:30 bf
S - 8 pm

She still wakes up at night at least once, usually around 4:30 and I feed her b/c I can't see how she could be getting enough food during the day and she does eat well.  The best feed of the day actually.  During the day she's too distracted.

How do I fix the EASY, or do I just forget it?  I am trying to fix the night waking, please help!
Kim

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Re: 9.5 mth 4 Hour EASY? Naps always overlap?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 21:06:08 pm »
I think the night waking is due to her having to much sleep during the day. Limit her morning nap to just 1hr 30mins and then try for another 1hr 30mins in the afternoon.

Don't worry about losing a feed. Most babies drop a feed by now anyway.  Try and get her tanked up the rest of the time.

But your EASY routine seems fine to me, don't worry to much about trying to be exact EASY, you will end up being more of a EAEAS at this age.

PS I like the A - look for trouble, that just made me laugh  ;D
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little cuties
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 22:07:16 pm »
You really think the night waking is too much daytime sleep? 

She never really had regular naps until 6 months old, and then they were only 45 mins.  She has been consistently taking longer naps for less than a month and her night wakings have improved in general (from every few hours).  She is a very busy girl and goes non-stop all day.  She won't generally sit still long enough to bf more than 5 mins. and doesn't take a bottle or cup (we're trying).  I have started adding 2 oz. of formula to her oatmeal twice a day to try and increase her calories.  We were just at the dr's yesterday and she has only gained one pound since her 6 mth appt in November.  I'm worred about her weight, but they don't seem to be.  She is 9.5 mths and 17 lbs, 4 oz.
Kim

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 09:26:53 am »
Is your DD spirited?

You could try going to her room, with it darkened, so there won't be much of a distraction to eat during the day, its just a thought.

If the Drs aren't worried about her weight you shouldn't be.  If she was losing weight then you have a right to be worried.

HTH
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 10:47:06 am »
Kim, I wouldn't worry too much about the day sleep, Liam does about the same in hours (1/1.5 am & 2/2.5pm + 11.5-12 overnight) & he is 9.5mo too. he does 2.5/3/4 in the way of A... to fit so I get both boys napping at the same time

What I would suggest is actually moving to more a toddler feeding. I have edited your Day to mix with what I do & the differing nap times, but as your day is much like my SIL uses for her 9mo & both of us are on #2 & found that it was what we needed to do to fit the older child & to be honest for both of us it works great, esp as often the feeding at night post 6mo is more from low fluid intake than hunger, so the snack time for me is more about getting extra fluids into Liam.

8 am wake and bf, followed by solids
A - shower with mom
10.30 snack... sippy of milk or water + cracker/
A - look for trouble
S - 11 am for 1.5 to 2 hours

E - 1 pm wake and bf, then lunch
A - find some more trouble
3pm snack, water & fruit puree/yogurt
S - 4 pm for 1 to 1.5 hours

E - 5:30 wake, bf and dinner
A - play with daddy and doggy
E - 7:30 bf
S - 8 pm

Just for your interest my day is roughly

5/6am bf (small weaning off this)
7.30am breakfast & bf
9/9.30 nap 1-1.5 hours
10.30/11 - sippy of milk (3-5oz) & cracker
noon - lunch- solids + water
1/1.30pm Nap - 1.5-2.5 hours
3/3.30pm bf + fruit/fruit jelly
5.30pm Dinner- solids +water
6.15pm bath
6.45pm bf,
7pm bed

dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little cuties
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 17:16:08 pm »
We will try that starting tomorrow as we slept in until 9:15 today :(  I know that sounds like heaven, but she was up every ten mins from 4:30 to 6:30.  I ended up feeding her twice b/c I stopped the first feed after one side.:o  She used to get up at 7:30 consistently, but the worse our night is, the later she sleeps.  I don't know if I should just let her sleep, or if I should set my alarm (I hate alarms  >:()  She still seems to go to bed around 8 without too much trouble either way, but maybe that would help her nightime sleep?  Just pondering out loud, although any insights are welcome.  This up for 2 hours every ten mins thing has happened three out of the last four nights and dh and I are losing patience and hope.  Tuesday night she only woke once so I don't get it.  Any thoughts?
Kim