Author Topic: GF Rice bread recipe  (Read 1955 times)

Offline arclarc

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
GF Rice bread recipe
« on: March 08, 2006, 20:16:08 pm »
i am sure this should probably be posted in the food recipe page, but i wasn't sure people from the food allergy board would find it.  my ds is having a really hard time with wheat, dairy, soy...really just about anything that isn't a fruit or veggie.  but he wants to eat things like bread and pasta.  i found some rice pasta, but it is really hard to find a rice bread without a lot of sugar (just makes him phlegmy).  i have modified the below recipe to cut out most of the sugar and the bread is actually tastes ok.  if you are like us and you suspect a problem with gluten, you can be sure all the ingredients are gluten free.  if you want you can post or send me a pm for the original recipe or for the recipe for a breadmaker.  it is super easy to make, and because i am still breastfeeding i can now eat toast and sandwiches again!  i noticed that a lot of mother were having a hard time not eating wheat while breastfeeding, now you can.  i promise, the recipe is really easy!  and while it isn't your yummy wheat bread it is an acceptable substitute.  tsp=teaspoon and Tbsp=tablespoon.  i hope people find this helpful.

Dry                                                Wet
2/3 cup brown rice flour                   3 eggs + 1 egg white
1 1/3 cup white rice flour                 3 Tbsp. oil, margarine, or butter, melted
2 tsp. xanthan gum                         2/3 tsp. vinegar
3/4 tsp. salt                                   6 Tbsp. soy or rice milk or water
2/3 tsp. unflavored gelatin               3/4 cup +1 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. sugar
3 1/2 tsp dry yeast

1. in small bowl dissolve 1 tsp. sugar in 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. lukewarm water and add yeast.  set aside to foam.

2. in medium bowl, place remaining dry ingredients.

3. oil and flour bread pans if they are not non-stick.  if you have non-stick pans, skip this step.

4. break eggs into bowl of mixer.  add remaining wet ingredients.  using heavy beater (not dough hook) beat lightly on low.  add yeast water.  add flour mixture gradually.

5. beat on high for 3 1/2 minuets

6. spoon dough into pan, filling 2/3 full

7. let rise to slightly above top of pan. (45 -50 min for regular yeast, 30-35 min for rapid rising yeast)

8. pre-heat oven to 400.  bake large loaf 1 hour, small loaves 40-45 minuets.  cover with foil after 15 minuets to avoid burning.

9. remove from pan and let cool on rack.

Offline ryansmomma

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: GF Rice bread recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 12:39:24 pm »
I have found a ready made brand for my son with the same and more allergies.  They are brown or white rice and tapioca breads made by the co ENER-G.  I find them at Kroger grocery store.  They also carry a brand of rice and veggie noodles.  They have been a lifesaver!

Offline luv for 2

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 04:05:04 am »
Has anyone from Canada found any store brands?  I'll make the bread but would prefer to buy it.

Offline smi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 23:10:34 pm »
There is a brand called celia ( something close to that anyways) at superstore.  I was surprised when I was down their baking ilse to find it.  It is pricey about 6 dollars for about a half loaf.  I know that save-on-foods carrys lots of wheat/gluten free foods as well.  This is in Alberta, but I am sure the rest of Canada will carry them as well.