Author Topic: Throwing lovey out of cot!  (Read 1183 times)

Offline cadensmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Throwing lovey out of cot!
« on: March 08, 2006, 20:37:03 pm »
Hello,

I am hoping someone might have an answer to one of the myriad problems I am having with my 2y/o DS! For the last 2 months he has been stalling to go to bed..playing around, not getting dressed, not sitting for stories etc, etc. He has never been a fantastic sleeper and has lots and lots of energy. Some nights it takes him up to two hours to fall asleep. Nonetheless, we have always stuck with his routine and put him to bed btw 7-7:30p Anyway, his latest game is to throw his blankie bear out of the cot so my DH or I will come back in to retrieve it as he won't sleep without it. This can go on for up to ten trips in and out until DH ends up shouting :-[ We have told him we aren't going to come back in if he throws it again and have tried letting him cry but he went on for over an hour :o at which point we did go in. I feel like we are doing all the wrong things, being inconsistent etc. I just don't know what to do! We have a host of other issues as well and I feel like I am losing it!

Alicia
Any advice great appreciated.
Alicia
Caden 27/02/04
Scarlett 8/11/2006

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 21:08:45 pm »
My daughter does this too....I used to go in and get it but I had to stop because it became a game.  She cried for what seemed forever for him back but I stood strong.  I really believe with ANY thing we try to teach our toddlers that consistency is key.  So if you give up after an hour, he will learn to cry for an hour and then Mom will come to help him out.  So unfortunately I can only recommend either leaving him be for the night and he'll learn that way not to throw the bear out of the crib OR to do a controlled where you go in every few minutes to check on him and do that until he gives in and goes to sleep.

I'm sure someone else has other/better advice for you!  I'll be looking to see because like I said we still go through this with my daughter.

Offline NicoleW

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 03:37:18 am »
HI Alicia,
megan tried this last month as well. I was giong in and giving it back, trying to reason with her etc....
but my husband one night just went in and took it! closed the door. she was so upset..but he left her for like 15 min.
he went back in adn told her if she did it again she woudlnt' get it back.
she never threw it out again~ lol.....

Nicole

Offline cadensmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Throwing lovey out of cot!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 12:53:19 pm »
Well thanks for the suggestions ladies. We had another horrible bedtime last night  :(

Nicole, thanks for that idea but it is something we have tried. I think we have been so inconsistent thus far he doesn't believe we won't bring it back! I'm pleased it worked for you!

Carmela's mom, I think you are right about being consistent. I believe we are just going to have to be tough about this and let him cry. Hopefully it will only take one night. He really needs his sleep as he gets so little, it just has to be done.

I shall keep you posted on our progress.

Alicia
Caden 27/02/04
Scarlett 8/11/2006